Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep for text between twp strings for multiple occurances. Post 302973867 by RavinderSingh13 on Monday 23rd of May 2016 09:23:07 AM
Old 05-23-2016
Hello mohtashims,

Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
for file in *.xml
do
     awk '/<app-deployment file/{Q++} {E=E?E ORS $0:$0} /<\/app-deployment>/{print E > "found"Q".tmp";E=""}'  Input_file
done

But problem here is you haven't told us like multiple xml files are there which you want to parse. Now if even you run above command finally only 2 files will be created. So in case you want to append all the output to files then change a little to above command.
Code:
for file in *.xml
do
     awk '/<app-deployment file/{Q++} {E=E?E ORS $0:$0} /<\/app-deployment>/{print E >> "found"Q".tmp";E=""}'  Input_file
done

Let me know if your requirement is different or you have additional conditions too with it. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to grep multiple strings

I have a script which searches a huge log file for the existence of a specified string and if the string is not present i receive an alert mail. Here's an extract: STRING=$(grep 'warning' logfile | tail -1 | wc -l) if (( ${STRING} > 0 )); then print -- "---- Warning etc.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Multiple Strings

Hi, Can any one pelase tell me how to grep multiple strings from multiple files in a singel folder? grep -E "string1|string2|string3|string4|string..." its taking lots of time.. can any please tell me fast grep??? URGENT (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasad
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get filename from the fullpath and how to grep multiple strings

Hi, New to shell scripting.... I have log file content as below: I have to count the number of occurences of ERROR or INFO Messages. So, I cut 5 th column and uniquly sorted and redirected it to new.txt file. But I want copy to S*/Filename and T*/Filename of respective ERROR or INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple strings in multiple files

Hi, every one! I have a file with multiple strings. file1 ATQRGNE ASQGVKFTE ASSQYRDRGGLET SPEQGARSDE ASSRDFTDT ASSYSGGYE ASSYTRLWNTGE ASQGHNTD PSLGGGNQPQH SLDRDSYNEQF I want to grep each string in hundreds of files in the same directory, further, I want to find out the string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't grep multiple strings

I have a script that periodically checks the Apache error_log to search for a specific error that causes it to hand and, if found, it restarts the service. I recently found another error that forces it to hand and won't serve pages until it is reset. What I'm trying to do is to get the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfjohnsn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F

Hi, Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F In Generally, grep -F "string1" "filename.txt" How to search for multiple string using grep -F as we using grep grep "string1\|string2" "filename.txt" Regards, Nanthagopal A (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple strings in a file

Consider i have the below data in my log file. i want to grep using "Monday" and "Working" So the only output i expect is Can you help me with the grep query for Sun Sparc ? Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between two strings for multiple occurances

i search between two strings viz <app-deployment> & </app-deployment> and save the contents in a new file using the code snippet below. sed -n "/<app-deployment/,/<\/app-deployment>/p" deploy.tmp >found1.tmpBut if the search string apprears more than once in the file then how can i store the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
mkmsgs(1)							   User Commands							 mkmsgs(1)

NAME
mkmsgs - create message files for use by gettxt SYNOPSIS
mkmsgs [-o] [-i locale] inputstrings msgfile DESCRIPTION
The mkmsgs utility is used to create a file of text strings that can be accessed using the text retrieval tools (see gettxt(1), srchtxt(1), exstr(1), and gettxt(3C)). It will take as input a file of text strings for a particular geographic locale (see setlocale(3C)) and create a file of text strings in a format that can be retrieved by both gettxt(1) and gettxt(3C). By using the -i option, you can install the cre- ated file under the /usr/lib/locale/locale/LC_MESSAGES directory (locale corresponds to the language in which the text strings are writ- ten). inputstrings is the name of the file that contains the original text strings. msgfile is the name of the output file where mkmsgs writes the strings in a format that is readable by gettxt(1) and gettxt(3C). The name of msgfile can be up to 14 characters in length, but may not contain either (null) or the ASCII code for / (slash) or : (colon). The input file contains a set of text strings for the particular geographic locale. Text strings are separated by a newline character. Non- graphic characters must be represented as alphabetic escape sequences. Messages are transformed and copied sequentially from inputstrings to msgfile. To generate an empty message in msgfile, leave an empty line at the correct place in inputstrings. Strings can be changed simply by editing the file inputstrings. New strings must be added only at the end of the file; then a new msgfile file must be created and installed in the correct place. If this procedure is not followed, the retrieval function will retrieve the wrong string and software compatibility will be broken. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -o Overwrite msgfile, if it exists. -i locale Install msgfile in the /usr/lib/locale/locale/LC_MESSAGES directory. Only someone who is super user or a member of group bin can create or overwrite files in this directory. Directories under /usr/lib/locale will be created if they do not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the mkmsgs command. The following example shows an input message source file C.str: File %s: cannot be opened %s: Bad directory . . . write error . . Example 2: Using Input Strings From C.str to Create Text Strings in a File The following command uses the input strings from C.str to create text strings in the appropriate format in the file UX in the current directory: example% mkmsgs C.str UX Example 3: Using Input Strings From FR.str to Create Text Strings in a File The following command uses the input strings from FR.str to create text strings in the appropriate format in the file UX in the directory /usr/lib/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES: example% mkmsgs -i fr FR.str UX These text strings would be accessed if you had set the environment variable LC_MESSAGES=fr and then invoked one of the text retrieval tools listed at the beginning of the DESCRIPTION section. FILES
/usr/lib/locale/locale/LC_MESSAGES/* message files created by mkmsgs ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWloc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exstr(1), gettxt(1), srchtxt(1), gettxt(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 26 Jul 1994 mkmsgs(1)