Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script variable $1 used with put command Post 302973168 by Aia on Sunday 15th of May 2016 02:31:34 PM
Old 05-15-2016
$1 or ${1} refers to the first argument passed to the script when invoked.
If you have an script named myscript.sh and you invoked it as ./myscript.sh /dir1 /dir2, $1 for it will be /dir1 and $2 will be /dir2

In order to answer your question you need to tell us what arguments are passed to it when invoked.

Last edited by Aia; 05-15-2016 at 03:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give a variable to a command in shell script...

hi all... I am executing a comman in a shell script but the command needs a user input of character 'y' as input so it stops in between...may i know is there is any way of giving that character as input in the shell script itself???...thanks in advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script variable to read shell command

Solaris 10 Korn shell ksh, Hi there, I have figured out to get yesterday's date which is using the below command: TZ=GMT+24; date +%d-%b-%Y to get the format of 30-Sep-2008 and TZ=GMT+24; date +%Y%m%d to get the format of 20080930. I need this two format. In my perl script below I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put output of one command into a variable

Hi, Let say I have these 3 files (state, list and myscript). I want to be able get the sample output like below when I run myscript. Any one know how to fix the code? TIA. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > cat /home/state CA > cat /home/list CA 100 50 20 AUS 120 61 10 > cat myscript... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker_789us
6 Replies

5. Programming

How to put variable date from SQL Script

Hi Guys, Can someone please help me on adding/inserting a variable to an sql scipt? Basically I want to assign today's date. As shown below.. set head off; set linesize 300; set pagesize 200; spool /opt/oracle/temp/output.txt select value,count(*) as totalcount from pmowner.pinpebasev... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

store last command exit status in variable in shell script

Hello All My req is to store the exit status of a command in shell variable I want to check whether the file has header or not The header will contain the string DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID So I am running the command head -1 $i | grep DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID Now I have to check if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How i can put the result of a command inside a bash variable?

#!/bin/bash #... for i in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications` do name="cat $i | grep ^Name= | cut -d = -f2" echo $name #... done Now inside name as output is present: while i want only the result of the command. Ideally i would like obtain that information using only bash ... or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not accepting variable in shell script

I am using a shell script in fedora linux. While calling to the shell I am also passing an argument (var1=0.77) like shown below sh gossip.sh var1=0.77 in the shell following command is written (which doesn't work) sed - i -e 's@prob=@prob="$var1";//@g' file.txt Actually i want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakhar Hassan
7 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)