Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Pvcreate can't open /dev/xvda2 exclusively mounted filesystem Post 302973059 by Aia on Friday 13th of May 2016 09:59:49 AM
Old 05-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnhk
[...]
[root@localhost ~]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda2 16G 5.3G 9.8G 36% /
tmpfs 1.4G 0 1.4G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/xvda1 99M 72M 23M 77% /boot
[root@localhost ~]#

[root@localhost ~]# mount
/dev/xvda2 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/xvda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
Hi, alnhk
Thank you for posting the information. In deed it shows the cause of the problem.
In your first post you mentioned you have deleted /dev/xvda2 using fdisk. However, the parts I have highlighted in red, show that /dev/xvda2 is not deleted; it has a filesystem and it is mounted. In fact, it can not be deleted unless it is offline, because it is the root (/) of the OS filesystem and the operating system will not let you. If you delete that partition booting from another filesystem (like a live CD) you will be erasing the whole OS. I do not think that's what you want.

Last edited by Aia; 05-13-2016 at 11:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell if a filesystem is NFS mounted?

I would like to know if there is a command or set of commands that I can run to verify that there are no 'extraneous' nfs mounted filesystems on our server. I didn't see anything in doing a search on NFS. We think that we may have some filesystems that are still nfs mounted when the link should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounted Root Filesystem

In my Solaris 10 based server, I have noticed the following mounts when a use DF -K /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% / / 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% /net/se420 I understand the first mount because it appears in my vfstab file and is the mount of root that I would expect.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing if nfs filesystem is mounted

Hello, I have a backup script that backs up my system to a nfs mounted file system. The mount point on my local system is /backup. I want my script to check whether the nfs file system is mounted on /backup before actually backing anything up. Even if the nfs file system was NOT mounted,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Remote mount an already mounted nfs filesystem

Hello all, We're using JET to build our systems.. I'm in the process of needing to build a centrally located JET box with access to all our networks rather that 2 or 3 dotted around. Part of the means I need to locate the boot & OS images on an NFS mount (via NETAPP filer).. However in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ filesystem is mounted read only

how do you fsck the / filesystem? I know it does it automatically the next time I boot up following a switch on the wall shutdown but is there a flad somewhere that forces this on next boot up? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGK
2 Replies

6. SuSE

can't open /dev/sda3 exclusively

Hi, please help!!! I'm installing an openSUSE 10.3 into a computer, after creating the following partitions: Primay Partition swap / LVM(volume manager) - /dev/sda3 /opt, /var, /tmp, /usr, /local when i tried to continue installing, after creating the partitions i am prompted with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if NAS filesystem is mounted

Anyone know the best way to check and see if a NAS filesystem is mounted on a linux box. I have no idea where to start :wall:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3mon_spawn
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Have mounted a filesystem in /var and now cannot log in

hi, i might not be posting my question in the right place because i don't know where to post questions my question is like this i created a partition named 'var' in the SOLARIS os .,and then i knowingly mounted it on /var ..now after doing this am not able to login to my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

9. AIX

Filesystem Mounted at the server

Hello Gurus, Can you please suggest what is the command of all the filesystems which are mounted at the server. Thanks- Pokhraj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pvcreate can't open /dev/xvda2 exclusively mounted filesystem

I downloaded the oracle linux 6.7 from RHEL, I wanted to extend the storage for "/" from default 16GB to say 200GB. Here's the steps I tried is : 1. Init 1 2. Using “fdisk /dev/xvda” , delete the swap /dev/xvda3 as well as /dev/xvda2 3. Re-create /dev/xvda2 with linux LVM using new end blocks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alnhk
1 Replies
FSTAB(5)							   File Formats 							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab - static information about the filesystems SYNOPSIS
/etc/fstab DESCRIPTION
The file fstab contains descriptive information about the filesystems the system can mount. fstab is only read by programs, and not writ- ten; it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file. The order of records in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through fstab doing their thing. Each filesystem is described on a separate line. Fields on each line are separated by tabs or spaces. Lines starting with '#' are com- ments. Blank lines are ignored. The following is a typical example of an fstab entry: LABEL=t-home2 /home ext4 defaults,auto_da_alloc 0 2 The first field (fs_spec). This field describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. For ordinary mounts, it will hold (a link to) a block special device node (as created by mknod(8)) for the device to be mounted, like `/dev/cdrom' or `/dev/sdb7'. For NFS mounts, this field is <host>:<dir>, e.g., `knuth.aeb.nl:/'. For filesystems with no storage, any string can be used, and will show up in df(1) output, for example. Typical usage is `proc' for procfs; `mem', `none', or `tmpfs' for tmpfs. Other special filesystems, like udev and sysfs, are typically not listed in fstab. LABEL=<label> or UUID=<uuid> may be given instead of a device name. This is the recommended method, as device names are often a coincidence of hardware detection order, and can change when other disks are added or removed. For example, `LABEL=Boot' or `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6'. (Use a filesystem-specific tool like e2label(8), xfs_admin(8), or fatlabel(8) to set LABELs on filesystems). It's also possible to use PARTUUID= and PARTLABEL=. These partitions identifiers are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT). See mount(8), blkid(8) or lsblk(8) for more details about device identifiers. Note that mount(8) uses UUIDs as strings. The string representation of the UUID should be based on lower case characters. The second field (fs_file). This field describes the mount point (target) for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as `none'. If the name of the mount point contains spaces or tabs these can be escaped as `40' and '11' respectively. The third field (fs_vfstype). This field describes the type of the filesystem. Linux supports many filesystem types: ext4, xfs, btrfs, f2fs, vfat, ntfs, hfsplus, tmpfs, sysfs, proc, iso9660, udf, squashfs, nfs, cifs, and many more. For more details, see mount(8). An entry swap denotes a file or partition to be used for swapping, cf. swapon(8). An entry none is useful for bind or move mounts. More than one type may be specified in a comma-separated list. mount(8) and umount(8) support filesystem subtypes. The subtype is defined by '.subtype' suffix. For example 'fuse.sshfs'. It's recommended to use subtype notation rather than add any prefix to the first fstab field (for example 'sshfs#example.com' is depre- cated). The fourth field (fs_mntops). This field describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. It is formatted as a comma-separated list of options. It contains at least the type of mount (ro or rw), plus any additional options appropriate to the filesystem type (including performance-tuning options). For details, see mount(8) or swapon(8). Basic filesystem-independent options are: defaults use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async. noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time) user allow a user to mount owner allow device owner to mount comment or x-<name> for use by fstab-maintaining programs nofail do not report errors for this device if it does not exist. The fifth field (fs_freq). This field is used by dump(8) to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. Defaults to zero (don't dump) if not present. The sixth field (fs_passno). This field is used by fsck(8) to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at boot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1. Other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. Defaults to zero (don't fsck) if not present. NOTES
The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the routines getmntent(3) or libmount. The keyword ignore as a filesystem type (3rd field) is no longer supported by the pure libmount based mount utility (since util-linux v2.22). FILES
/etc/fstab, <fstab.h> SEE ALSO
getmntent(3), fs(5), findmnt(8), mount(8), swapon(8) HISTORY
The ancestor of this fstab file format appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
This man page is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2015 FSTAB(5)