Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove carriage return and append the next line Post 302972971 by mad man on Thursday 12th of May 2016 08:23:21 AM
Old 05-12-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
There's a ^M (<carriage return>) too many that could be removed like
Code:
awk  '{while (length < 1330 && getline s>0) {sub (/\r/, ""); $0=$0 " " s}}1'  /tmp/Sample\ input\ file.txt

yielding exactly your desired output.
Please be aware that your sample input file's last line is missing the terminal ^M that all the other lines have.
Hi Rudi C,

Thanks for your reply i just ran it for the sample input file it worked well.
But if i mutiply the input records with the same scenario i gave erronous output.please find the attached i/p & o/p file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. There are around 700 columns in the file. The 65th column has carriage return which is causing read issue with our ETL process. I would like to replace the new line characters in 65th field with "nothing" i have return the following code and need help to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies
GSM(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    GSM(3)

NAME
gsm_create, gsm_destroy, gsm_encode, gsm_decode -- GSM 06.10 lossy sound compression SYNOPSIS
#include "gsm.h" gsm gsm_create(); void gsm_encode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_signal src[160]; gsm_frame dst; int gsm_decode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_frame src; gsm_signal dst[160]; void gsm_destroy(handle) gsm handle; DESCRIPTION
Gsm is an implementation of the final draft GSM 06.10 standard for full-rate speech transcoding. gsm_create() initializes a gsm pass and returns a 'gsm' object which can be used as a handle in subsequent calls to gsm_decode(), gsm_encode() or gsm_destroy(). gsm_encode() encodes an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signal's, signed integral values of at least 16 bits) into a gsm_frame of 33 bytes. (gsm_frame is a type defined as an array of 33 gsm_bytes in gsm.h.) gsm_decode() decodes a gsm_frame into an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signals), which sound rather like what you handed to gsm_encode() on the other side of the wire. gsm_destroy() finishes a gsm pass and frees all storage associated with it. Sample format The following scaling is assumed for input to the algorithm: 0 1 11 12 S..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..*..*..* Only the top 13 bits are used as a signed input value. The output of gsm_decode() has the three lower bits set to zero. RETURN VALUE
gsm_create() returns an opaque handle object of type gsm, or 0 on error. gsm_decode() returns -1 if the passed frame is invalid, else 0. EXAMPLE
#include "gsm.h" gsm handle; gsm_frame buf; gsm_signal sample[160]; int cc, soundfd; play() { /* read compressed data from standard input, write to soundfd */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(0, (char *)buf, sizeof buf)) { if (cc != sizeof buf) error... if (gsm_decode(handle, buf, sample) < 0) error... if (write(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } record() { /* read from soundfd, write compressed to standard output */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample)) { if (cc != sizeof sample) error... gsm_encode(handle, sample, buf); if (write(1, (char *)buf, sizeof buf) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } BUGS
Please direct bug reports to jutta@cs.tu-berlin.de and cabo@cs.tu-berlin.de. SEE ALSO
toast(1), gsm_print(3), gsm_explode(3), gsm_option(3) GSM(3)