Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to automate some DNS checks Post 302972889 by joeyg on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 11:04:23 AM
Old 05-11-2016
Probably next steps would be to experiment with what is returned from the dig commands.

For instance, save the return message to a variable.
Then, see if it contains or does not contain an important message.
Finally, based on the "if" statement you just did, you could display either
OK -- full return message here
*ERROR* - unknown ___ -- full return message here

Experiment a little with this.
I know when I was a Sys Admin (long ago), I had many scripts that would run and alert me when an error. In my case, the script would email me when something was wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

health checks

Hello Anyone please help me with a health check script on HP-UX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahlathini
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doing Checks on a file

I have a process that I am trying to provide a solution for and have hit a brick wall and would like some pointers in the right direction. Basically on a daily basis a report is automatically generated in a CSV format (FIRST.CSV) which includes codes and amounts in the following format: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
6 Replies

4. AIX

Pre-checks

AIX Guys!!! What pre-checks would you do on a 5.3 server before TL/SP/APAR installation? Bala (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Daily Checks

Hey Guys, I'm seeking some assistance in getting this script to run as a cron job for the user oracle.. the script is basically to perform 2 ADRCI checks... see the script below... i'm getting the following error: /export/home/oracle/Daily_Checks/ADRCI_Daily_Checks.sh: syntax error at line 16:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Racegod
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to do the following checks

Hi , I need a script for processing below scenario. I have to check daily by doing ftp IP to check it is logging or not. So i want this activity to be automated such that if login succesful i will get "FTP LOGIN SUCCESS" in a log file and if fails i want the error message in the same log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
vboxtcl(5)						    Linux System Administration 						vboxtcl(5)

NAME
vboxtcl - tcl commands for vboxgetty CONTENT
With vbox version 2.0, tcl can be used as a script language to act on incoming calls. Incoming calls are still taken by vboxgetty, but further actions are made by the tcl script. VARIABLES
These are additional variables supplied by vboxgetty. vbox_var_bindir directory with vbox commands. vbox_var_savename name for this message to save. The name is constructed from time and process id. It's a good idea to use this name, but you can also use a different name. vbox_var_rectime maximum seconds to record. vbox_var_spooldir path of the users spool directory (/var/spool/vbox/<user>). vbox_var_checknew path for new files (/var/spool/vbox/<user>/incoming). vbox_msg_standard filename with full path of the message to play as the standard message (/var/spool/vbox/<user>/messages/standard.msg). vbox_msg_beep filename with full path of the message to play as beep (/var/spool/vbox/<user>/messages/beep.msg). vbox_msg_timeout filename with full path of the message to play after a timeout (/var/spool/vbox/<user>/messages/timeout.msg). vbox_caller_id CALLERID of current caller. If unknown, this is "0". vbox_caller_phone full phone number of current caller. If unknown, this is "*** Unknown ***". vbox_caller_name name of current caller. If unknown, this is "*** Unknown ***". vbox_user_name name of the user that runs this vboxgetty. vbox_user_home home directory of the user that runs this vboxgetty. vbox_flag_standard this is TRUE if the script should play the standard message, and FALSE if the script should not. vbox_flag_beep this is TRUE if the script should play the beep message, and FALSE if the script should not. vbox_flag_timeout this is TRUE if the script should play the timeout message, and FALSE if the script should not. vbox_flag_record this is TRUE if the script should record a message, and FALSE if the script should not. FUNCTIONS
vboxgetty also provides some additional functions to the user. Return Codes Most functions will use these return codes: ERROR An error occurred. HANGUP The connection was ended. Script should end now. OK The whole message was played, nothing occurred. Any other error code is a touchtone sequence, that was detected during playing the message. vbox_breaklist <add|rem> <sequence> [...] With this command you can control which touchtone sequences vboxgetty will recognize. Touchtone sequences have the format *NUMBER#, where NUMBER is a sequence of the characters 0-9 and A-D. Even single numbers must be given in the format *NUMBER#. Vboxgetty detects if the caller gives a number as a single digit or as a part of a sequence. add <sequence> [...] Add a touchtone sequence to breaklist. You can add up to 8 sequences at one time. rem <sequence> [...] Remove a touchtone sequence from breaklist. You can remove up to 8 sequences at one time. You can use all to remove all sequences. vbox_put_message <message> Play a message and returns an error code depending on the reason to stop playing. Default return codes. message full name of the message file (with path). vbox_get_message <savename> <timelimit> Records a message. Default return codes. Options are: savename full name of the file for saving the message. timelimit maximum time to record the message. vbox_wait <seconds> Waits for several seconds for an input from caller. Default return codes. Options are: seconds time to wait. vbox_init_touchtones Clears vboxgetty touchtone sequence. Normal way is to append all new touchtones to the sequence, the sequence is only cleared when a "*" touchtone is received. vbox_pause <ms> waits a specific number of milliseconds. ms number of milliseconds to wait. vbox_get_nr_new_messages <messagebox> Return the number of new messages in the directory. messagebox the directory to scan vbox_get_nr_all_messages <messagebox> Return the number of messages in the directory. messagebox the directory to scan SEE ALSO
Look at the tcl documentation for any tcl specific questions. For vbox : vboxgetty(8), vboxgetty.conf(5), vbox.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>, for Debian GNU/Linux and isdn4linux. ISDN 4 Linux 3.1pre4 2000/09/15 vboxtcl(5)