Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function in one-linef and pass arguments in a pipe Post 302972077 by SkySmart on Friday 29th of April 2016 04:31:33 PM
Old 04-29-2016
Function in one-linef and pass arguments in a pipe

I need to declare a function, this function will contain a script, this script cannot be in a file but must be piped. and then, for the script to run, i need to pass arguments to it.

everything has to be on one line. so i'm basically looking for a one-liner

here's what i'm doing:

Code:
myfunc () { $MUP=${@} ; set -- "${MUP}" ; MYSCRIPT=$(cat ~/test1.sh) ; echo "${MYSCRIPT}" ${MUP} ; } ; myfunc -I html -U msmith -H hostname

any ideas on how this can be fixed to do what i want?

the solution should work for any script. meaning, the script should be able to run as though it were in a file, even though it's piped/streamed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to a function in a shell script?

Hi, I have two shell variables $t1 and $t2 which I need to pass to a function in a shell script. The function will do some computation with those two variables and echo the resultant. But I do not know how to pass teh arguments. The function written is f1() {...... ........ } What should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass arguments to called program

Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShellUser
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass Kill with arguments

Dude, I want to kill a process, but the processid is in a text file. I have to read the text file for the process id and pass it as parameter to the kill command. Example $ cat prcid.txt 18650 I want to pass the value 18650 as a process id to kill command. $ kill -9 <value read from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksmuralee
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help to pass arguments in script

Hi, I have a my script here-- print "The Perl Script does the User health check and system health check...\n"; print "---------------------------------------------------------------------\n"; # use strict; my($OS); $OS = $^O; # need to test @ARGV before GetOptions shifts it if (@ARGV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass arguments unchanged

Hi, I have to use ksh on HP-UX for some scripting. I usually use "set -e -u" in scripts to stop if errors occur or a typo is in a variable name. Now I try to use "$@" to pass the arguments unchanged to another function, which works without problems - unless I try to call the script without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michas
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To pass arguments to makefile using script

Hi, I want to run a target of makfile using script by passing different arguments to it again n again. I i need to grep certain things from the log file. eg make abc KAB=8 BAC=8 >& KAB_BAC.log grep "timeA" KAB_BAC.log grep "timeB" KAB_BAC.log (i want to store the difference of the two time... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass arguments to the library .so

Hello, Please, how can i pass arguments to my lib.so ? my lib.so is written in c and i need some arguments in the code .. LD_PRELOAD=lib.so ./program Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to an interactive script?

I've tried to find a solution to this, but I"m stumped. OS - RH Linux 5.9 I have a bash script <myProgram.sh> that gets executed manually and creates a small response file. I'm trying to automate the running of this script. When myProgram.sh runs, it prompts the user to enter 2 pieces of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass the value from pipe

am trying to pass the date calculated to variable so that i can use the same for my further reporting and tracking of the changes as per the variable value. System = SunOS Release = 5.9 KernelID = Generic_122300-61 date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1` case... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeep84in
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat a script, pipe it, then pass arguments to it?

suppose i have a perl script that is normally run this way: ./checkdisk.pl -H hostname -w 40 -c 80 but, for whatever reason, i cannot run the script directly as it should. But i can cat it through pipe. How can i pass the arguments "-H hostname -w 40 -c 80"? so this is what i'm doing,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)							 1							 SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)

set_time_limit - Limits the maximum execution time

SYNOPSIS
bool set_time_limit (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Set the number of seconds a script is allowed to run. If this is reached, the script returns a fatal error. The default limit is 30 sec- onds or, if it exists, the max_execution_time value defined in the php.ini. When called, set_time_limit(3) restarts the timeout counter from zero. In other words, if the timeout is the default 30 seconds, and 25 seconds into script execution a call such as set_time_limit(20) is made, the script will run for a total of 45 seconds before timing out. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - The maximum execution time, in seconds. If set to zero, no time limit is imposed. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success, or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Warning This function has no effect when PHP is running in safe mode. There is no workaround other than turning off safe mode or changing the time limit in the php.ini. Note The set_time_limit(3) function and the configuration directive max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such as system calls using system(3), stream operations, database queries, etc. is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been running. This is not true on Windows where the measured time is real. SEE ALSO
max_execution_time, max_input_time. PHP Documentation Group SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)