Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Raid0 array stresses only 1 disk out of 3 Post 302970828 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 12th of April 2016 08:57:29 AM
Old 04-12-2016
RAID0 "stripes" the data across the three actuators you have and the stripe size (that's official RAID speak) is the minimum allocation. So if the stripe is 2k then the first 2k bytes of a file is written to the first drive, the next 2k to the second drive, and the third 2k to the third drive. It then goes back to the first drive, and so on.

So it's not difficult to see that writing lots of small files will give unpredictable results respecially if they're less than 2k each. Also, read requests can only be satisfied be reading the drive(s) where the files were written.

So your results are misleading.

If you have a desire to test this then you need to do something like......
Create a 4GB file on (ideally) an internal drive not part of this RAID0 array. Kick all the users off if you can and then copy this 4GB to the RAID filesystem and take your measurements whilst that's going on. It won't be precise but should give you a better set of figures.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

A1000 Disk storage array

I am new to the unix world. I have SunBlade 100 and A1000 Disk storage array with 12 Hard drives. I used SCSI card and SCSI cables to connect. When I do the format command,I can see disk storage as one disk instead of 12 disks as below. Could anybody can explain why? What should I do in order... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dulasi
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris RAID0 doubt...

friends, Suppose I am typing metastat command and it is showing: d100: Concat/Stripe Size: 369495 blocks (180 MB) Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks) Device Start Block Dbase Reloc c1d0s0 16065 Yes Yes c1d0s1 0 No Yes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

3510 Disk Array Problem

I have a 3510 disk array attached to a T2000 server. The dmesg command shows disk error as follows and is generated a couple of times during the day Aug 18 03:35:51 myserver SUNWscsdMonitor: <rctrl6042> Standard General Event, CHL:2 ID:22 Drive NOTICE: Drive Recovered Error - 5F8E1F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

4. Linux

Raid0 recovery from external HD

Hi, I have the Lacie Big Disk, which is a external hard drive enclosure in a hardware RAID0 array of 2x250GB disks. The RAID controller seems to have died, leaving me with 2 working hard drives but no way to get the data. I tried hooking the drives up to a windows machine and using Raid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is RAID0 faster?

I have read anecdotes about people installing RAID0 (RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on some of their machines because it gives a performance boost. Because bandwidth on the motherboard is limited, can someone explain exactly why it should be faster? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Disk Array

So I have 2 solaris sun servers one with a disk array with 14 drives which I need to move to the other server. How do I move the disk array configured as a Raid 5 to another server without losing data? So far I know I'll connect the drive, run devfsadm, use format to verify the server see's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk Array

HI: I have a DUAL redundant system running in HP-UX 10.20 ( 2 servers) Both servers share an external SCSI disk array. Both server runs a Data base wich uses the disk array to write the data, and that is the way they share the information. The way that the servers see the disk array, is like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmoren
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies

9. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies
RP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     RP(4)

NAME
rp - RP-11/RP03 moving-head disk DESCRIPTION
The files rp0 ... rp7 refer to sections of RP disk drive 0. The files rp8 ... rp15 refer to drive 1 etc. This allows a large disk to be broken up into more manageable pieces. The origin and size of the pseudo-disks on each drive are as follows: disk start length 0 0 81000 1 0 5000 2 5000 2000 3 7000 74000 4-7 unassigned Thus rp0 covers the whole drive, while rp1, rp2, rp3 can serve usefully as a root, swap, and mounted user file system respectively. The rp files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw RP files begin with rrp and end with a number which selects the same disk section as the corresponding rp file. In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word boundary. FILES
/dev/rp?, /dev/rrp? SEE ALSO
hp(4) BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. RP(4)