Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Adblocking shuts down browsers by default? Post 302970255 by gull04 on Monday 4th of April 2016 12:00:09 PM
Old 04-04-2016
Hi All,

To me this just seems so strange, I have been a "Net User" for very nearly 35 years. I have seen the "Net/Web" evolve from a collection of "Private Only" networks, to what it is now. I am astonished that people think that a few adverts are intrusive, when I started using what we now call the web there were no Adverts to worry about - of course there weren't any graphics either. If you wanted to view any pictures then there was uuencode and uudecode these were not for the faint hearted.

Everything was done on a green (mainly text only) screen, maybe a vt100 if you were lucky. Communication speeds were measured in BAUD and 300BAUD was considered fast, my first connections were through an acoustic coupler at 110/75BAUD.

If you wanted to connect to an other part of the "Internet", you either has to dial the phone number or if you were on one of these fangled Unix systems - you could use cu if the admin allowed you access.

There were no forums, you had to trawl the "usenet" groups if you were looking for something. So to me putting up with adverts, targeted or otherwise isn't a problem - it sometimes is beneficial even.

What I will say though - is that one thing has remained constant, through all the technology changes and upgrades is the ratio of conspiracy theorists - people who believe our privacy is being taken away. Simply not so, we are giving it up. A long time ago, I was told something. It was "Never say anything electronically that you wouldn't shout across a crowded room full of people who didn't like you!"

So if a few adds are so distressing, then maybe you should try an other medium for accessing the web.

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 04-04-2016 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Timed out
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

browsers

hello all, to see what browsers exist on solaris server what is the path and then how can i acces the internet? i appreciate your help. thanks, grep (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep
4 Replies

2. BSD

error message in all browsers...

yes, i receive the same error message in all the browsers, the error message is: error host not found (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nobody
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flash/Shockwave Plugin Seems to Crash Browsers!

I have a problem, that's of course why I'm here. I just today installed, Vector Linux on a PII 233mhz with 160mb ram. The OS is stable, runs well, and is speedy for this older computer while running some GUI version. I can't recall which one. I can find out but it the browsers crash in all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfunkle
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Compatibility with different browsers for frames

Hi, I am writing a web application using Perl CGI. And I have defined an frame within like this "<iframe id=\"iframe01\" name=\"iframe01\" height=480 width=800 frameborder=0 scrolling=no></iframe>" My problem is that this iframe appears differently on different browsers - IE6, IE7, Mozilla... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long running shell scripts shuts donw the machine!

Hi, I am very new to shell scripting. I have a script called "RunDMol3.sh" which takes a directory name as input parameter, process somthing using files in the folder and writes output files in the same folder. This is a very heavy job and takes about 1.5 hrs. When I run in manually the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh.jitkar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

wget returns different data from web browsers

I am facing a strange issue with wget. I am not able to get the same data that I can get from my firefox web browser. I tried setting the user agent to firefox but i am still not able to get the same data.. Hope anyone can help point me to the correct direction. This is the command i used :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Surfing the Internet problems with multiple browsers

Could anyone explain why I am having trouble surfing the internet with both firefox and konqueror? Chromium seems to be the only browser that will work. I tried to create a new profile with firefox and that didn't work either. I can ping things just fine, I can download stuff with wget, I can ssh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Web Browsers

How and what other web browsers can I install for Solaris 11 86_64? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to close the Web browsers in Shell Script?

Hi, Is there anyway to close all the Open tabs in Web Browser via Shell Script. Like browser.close( ) or something like that. Pls do help me soon, Thanks in Advance :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Megala
1 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues - LDAPv3 MatchedValues Control SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP; use Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues; $ldap = Net::LDAP->new( "ldap.mydomain.eg" ); $mv = Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues->new( matchedValues => '((sn=Jensen)(sn=Miller))' ); # return the entries of all people with first name "Babs", # but only show the sn if it is "Jensen" or "Miller" my $mesg = $ldap->search( base => "o=University of Michigan, c=US", filter => "(givenName=Babs)", attrs => [ qw/sn/ ], control => $mv ); DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues" provides an interface for the creation and manipulation of objects that represent the "MatchedValues Control" as described by RFC 3876. The "MatchedValues Control", which only has a meaning with the "Search" operation, allows the client to specify criteria that restrict the values of attributes returned. It has no effect on the number of objects found, but only allows one to restrict the values of the attributes returned by the search to those matching the criteria. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
In addition to the constructor arguments described in Net::LDAP::Control the following are provided. matchedValues => VALUESRETURNFILTER A filter giving the criteria which attribute values shall be returned. VALUESRETURNFILTER is a sequence of simple filter items of the form "( <ATTRSPEC> <OP> <VALUE> )" surrounded by an additional set of parentheses; e.g. ((personsAge<=29)) Only return the age if is less than 30 ;-) ((cn=*Emergency*)(telephoneNumber=+1*)(telephoneNumber=911)) Only return those values of the cn that contain "Emergency", and phone numbers from North America including the one for emergency calls. METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3876.txt AUTHOR
Peter Marschall <peter@adpm.de> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011 Peter Marschall. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-09-20 Net::LDAP::Control::MatchedValues(3)