Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sprintf and system command in awk Post 302969859 by RudiC on Tuesday 29th of March 2016 10:39:20 AM
Old 03-29-2016
Why don't you post a line or two of the original (unzipped!) input file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk system() command not working

I am using Sun Solaris 5.8 I am trying to run a system command such as ls and echo inside awk, but when I run the following code system echo is not displayed. bash-2.03$ ls | awk 'BEGIN { print "first print" system("echo system echo") print "second print" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

system command within awk

I was trying commands within awk. i got stuck here. i take 2 files. cat input first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth ninht tenthcat add *************** Nirbhay ***************i run the command awk '{ if ( NR == 5 ) { print system("cat add") "\n" $0 } else {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirbhay
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide status value from awk system command

Hi, When i use the system( ) function inside a awk, i am getting the ouput with a 0 appended in a new line. Can someone guide me to eliminate the extra line containing 0. Ex : awk -F"|" '{print system("convert.sh" $1}' The output is displayed with 0 in a new line. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muruganksk
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - System command not working

dear All, my awk system command isn't working or rather I'm missing something in my command. Appreciated , if anyone can assist me what exactly I'm missing ?? awk ' /^/ { > c=split($3,a,"/") ;for(n=1; n<=c; ++n) > { > if (system("test -d" /home/cubedata/20120104/"$1"/"a")) { > print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking system(cmd) inside awk command

Hi, I was searching for a way to grep 2 lines before and after a certain keyword, and I came across the following code.. awk "\$0 ~ /ORA-/ { cmd=\"awk 'NR>=\" NR-2 \" && NR<=\" NR+2 \"' init.ora\" system(cmd) }" input_file I could not understand how this works. What is system() ? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kulasekar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?

Hi I need your help, please How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?... for example: byte=substr(cadena,pos,2); system("grep -n byte mapeo.txt"); Does it exist a way? Thanks for advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris21
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: System command not working in awk

Hi, I have around 10 files in a folder in which I want to change the file format from tab(\t) to pipe(|) with some changes in the fields as well. Below is the code, while tmp file is getting generated but move command is not working, please help Following is the code awk -F"\t" '{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join with awk using sprintf

Hi, Trying to join 2 files with awk (file1 has variable number of fields; file 2 has constant number of fields) file1: hook1|AA|BB|CC|DD hook2|EE|FF file2: hook1|11|22 hook2|33|44 hook3|55|66 output: hook1|11|22|AA|BB|CC|DD hook2|33|44|EE|FF hook3|55|66 What I tried so far:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies
post(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   post(8)

NAME
post - deliver a message SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/post [options] file OPTIONS
Specifies a file that post should take aliases from. More than one file can be specified, each being preceded with the -alias option. The post program automatically consults the system alias file, /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases. If there is an Aliasfile entry in your post also con- sults the file named in that entry. Filters (re-formats) messages sent to blind copy recipients. Recipients named in the Bcc: field nor- mally receive a new message which includes a copy of the message sent to the other recipients. If this option is specified, this copy of the message is filtered according to the instructions in the named file. The default is -nofilter. Formats messages so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol. This is the default behavior. You can post from formatting messages in this way by using the -noformat option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Adds a Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID: field to the header. Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent. The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard mail system. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. Informs the user of each step of the posting/filing process. Allows the user to watch the transport system's handling of the message (for example, local and fast delivery). Specifies the preferred length of the header compo- nents that contain addresses. The default settings for post are: -alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases -format -nomsgid -mts smtp -noverbose -nowatch -width 72 -nofilter DESCRIPTION
The program post is called by send(1) to deliver the message in the named file to local and remote users. In fact, all of the functions at- tributed to send on its reference page are performed by post, with send acting as a relatively simple pre-processor. Thus, it is post which parses the various header fields, appends From: and Date: lines, and interacts with the transport system. Normally, post would not be called directly by the user. It searches the To:, cc:, Bcc:, and Resent-xxx: header lines of the specified message for destination addresses, checks these addresses for validity, and formats them so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol (unless the -noformat option is set). This will normally cause @local-site to be appended to each local destination address, as well as any local return addresses. If a Bcc: field is encountered, the mail system will use its addresses for delivery. The Bcc: is removed from the message sent to original recipients. The copied recipients will receive an entirely new message with a minimal set of headers. The mail system includes a copy of the message sent to the original recipients in the body of the message. This command consults the environment variable $SIGNATURE to determine the sender's personal name in constructing the From: line of the message. RESTRICTIONS
For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. PROFILE COMPONENTS
The post command does not consult the user's FILES
The system customization file. The program to process Fcc:s. The program to process Bcc:s. The system alias file. SEE ALSO
Commands: comp(1), mhmail(1), send(1) Files: mh-alias(4), mh-mail(4), mtstailor(4) Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) post(8)