Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confusing of some basic awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusing of some basic awk Post 302969850 by joeyg on Tuesday 29th of March 2016 09:07:35 AM
Old 03-29-2016
Unsure what you are asking/commenting

Are you asking for someone to explain the logic of your examples?
Do you have any knowledge or experience with awk?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

(Need Help) confusing format on solaris 10

Hi All, Very need help about format syntax on solaris 10. I have done install Solaris 10 OS on sun fire v245 but currently i have a problem to use "format" command to display partition info for my hard drive. i cannot enter the format menu, below is captured display : # format Searching... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing Error

Hi all, Just subscribed to this forum. Not a regular user of Unix.:) I did the following: We have a directory structure /a/b/c5/ Where c5 is the only directory inside b. export ANOOP=/a/b/c*/ echo $ANOOP=/a/b/c5/ I have to create a symbolic link to anoop.txt in the directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing me......!!!!!!

Hiii... There... I am making a Script in which I am taking the value of a variable "var" through key board. But I want, if no values are supplied for "var" for more than 5 seconds then script shuld automatically exit.Script is as follow : #cat abc #!/bin/bash echo "Enter Your Choice : "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk basic issue

Hi all, I have an awk basic question. file.text Our Location: Our home has light yellow siding, and is a duplex on Main Street, across from the High School, and across the lane from the Health Center If I run: cat file.txt | awk '{print $2}' | grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk question...getting awk to act on $1 of the command itself

I have a script problem that I am not able to solve due my very limited understanding of unix/awk. This is the contents of test.sh awk '{print $1}' From the prompt if I enter: ./test.sh Hello World I would expect to see "Hello" but all I get is a blank line. Only then if I enter "Hello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

pikdev requirements confusing

I am looking at installing PiKdev which needs libqt3-mt and kdelibs4-dev. The installed package is qt-r1008952-i486-1 which claims to be a gui toolkit. find / -name "*libqt*" yields nothing with mt just a lot of support, compatible, and access widgets. Normally I would consider this a no go but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic awk questions

I find an script with awk sitting around. I went through some online manuals, but I can't figure out exactly how it works. I can't post the whole program. Not allowed. This is the line that is confusing me. I get when else is in the script grep -v "^REM " $1| grep -v "JUNK;" | awk -F" "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk help

Im sure this is an easy question, but Ive tried and tried to get this to print all on one line and cant figure out why its not, so maybe someone can help awk '/AP/{sub(/:80/, "", $4);printf $4"\t"} /User-Agent/{sub(/^*:/,"");print};sub(/\.80/,"", $4);/Host/{sub(/^*:/,""); print}' What this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sectech
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command output confusing

Hi, I ran a script named cat item when I searched for this script using command PS I get two process . I don't understand this. Also this script has run for 15 minutes but the time is showing as 0:00:confused::confused: ps -ef | grep cat_item catmgr 4508 4486 0 05:10:29 ? 0:00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk...newbie quetion

Hi, I was trying to change the value of the 4th column (put '1' in the 4th column of each row). My awk command is: awk -F, '{$3=1;}1' OFS= input.txt > ./test_out.txt My input file is: a 1 2 31 b 4 5 61 c 7 8 91 My output file (test_out.txt)is: a 1 2 31 b 4 5 61 c 7 8 91 What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)