Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing awk outputs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing awk outputs Post 302969666 by RudiC on Friday 25th of March 2016 11:31:21 AM
Old 03-25-2016
uniq need its input to be sorted to achieve a reasonable result. If you want the header on top, print it to stdout, and the rest of the lines print to a pipe into sort | uniq.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

Hello, I am trying to write a formatted report into a file using .ksh script and awk. Here is the command I am trying to run echo "before awk" ${SRC_SCHEMA} echo | awk '{printf "%-20s", ${SRC_SCHEMA} }' >>$REPORT_SQL_NAME I get the following error before awk ADW awk: 0602-562 Field $()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing outputs using awk.

I have a output of a command like this. the command is : bdf|sed '/^e/d'|awk '{print$2/1048576}' output : 0 0.515625 0.481979 2 2 2 7.8125 4 2 0.488281 7.8125 3.90625 4 1.95312 1 0.488281 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Printing

i have a file and i want to print the second variable and add qoutes to it i do awk -F"|" '{print $2}' star.unl. i get the output xxxxxxx but i need the variable($2) to be in quotes.like "xxxxxxx" how do i do there please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

i have a file containing a line 123456 is it possible to use AWK to print it out to look like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store multiple outputs from an awk command?

x=`echo $line | awk -F "|" '{print $1;print NR}'` How will I get the 2 return values ($1 and NR) from awk to variables? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create outputs from other command outputs

hi friends, The code: i=1 while do filename=`/usr/bin/ls -l| awk '{ print $9}'` echo $filename>>summary.csv #Gives the name of the file stored at column 9 count=`wc -l $filename | awk '{print $1}'` echo $count>>summary.csv #Gives just the count of lines of file "filename" i=`expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printing help

Hallo, i have a file which looks like this: $1 $2 $3 Student1 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail Student2 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail i want that the $1 field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array in awk outputs multiple values

Disclaimer: OP is 100% Awk beginner. I use this code on ASCII files I need to report against. awk 'BEGIN { tokens = 0 tokens = 0 tokens = 0 } { for (token in tokens) { if ($1 == token){print $0; tokens++;}}} END {for (token in tokens){ if( tokens ==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - Different outputs *Question*

I'm having a small issue with AWK: I run this in PUTTY: awk 'BEGIN{FS=","}NR==FNR{A=$1;next}{if (A==$1) print $0}' FILE1 FILE2 And it gives me the output that I expect. I wanted to create a file.awk file that i could just run instead of typing this out all the time. But its not giving my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk giving different outputs each time

I have a strange issue. (awk '$3 == "nfs" { cnt++ }; END { print cnt }' /etc/fstab) This is giving different count each time. To test this, tried the one here -bash-3.2$ awk '/nfs/{print $2}' /etc/fstab | wc -l 151 -bash-3.2$ awk '/nfs/{print $2}' /etc/fstab | wc -l 145... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshmsi
6 Replies
UNIQ(1) 								FSF								   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - remove duplicate lines from a sorted file SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Discard all but one of successive identical lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines. -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of whitespace, then non-whitespace characters. Fields are skipped before chars. AUTHOR
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uniq should give you access to the complete manual. uniq (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNIQ(1)