Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing awk outputs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing awk outputs Post 302969666 by RudiC on Friday 25th of March 2016 11:31:21 AM
Old 03-25-2016
uniq need its input to be sorted to achieve a reasonable result. If you want the header on top, print it to stdout, and the rest of the lines print to a pipe into sort | uniq.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

Hello, I am trying to write a formatted report into a file using .ksh script and awk. Here is the command I am trying to run echo "before awk" ${SRC_SCHEMA} echo | awk '{printf "%-20s", ${SRC_SCHEMA} }' >>$REPORT_SQL_NAME I get the following error before awk ADW awk: 0602-562 Field $()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing outputs using awk.

I have a output of a command like this. the command is : bdf|sed '/^e/d'|awk '{print$2/1048576}' output : 0 0.515625 0.481979 2 2 2 7.8125 4 2 0.488281 7.8125 3.90625 4 1.95312 1 0.488281 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Printing

i have a file and i want to print the second variable and add qoutes to it i do awk -F"|" '{print $2}' star.unl. i get the output xxxxxxx but i need the variable($2) to be in quotes.like "xxxxxxx" how do i do there please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

i have a file containing a line 123456 is it possible to use AWK to print it out to look like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store multiple outputs from an awk command?

x=`echo $line | awk -F "|" '{print $1;print NR}'` How will I get the 2 return values ($1 and NR) from awk to variables? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create outputs from other command outputs

hi friends, The code: i=1 while do filename=`/usr/bin/ls -l| awk '{ print $9}'` echo $filename>>summary.csv #Gives the name of the file stored at column 9 count=`wc -l $filename | awk '{print $1}'` echo $count>>summary.csv #Gives just the count of lines of file "filename" i=`expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printing help

Hallo, i have a file which looks like this: $1 $2 $3 Student1 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail Student2 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail i want that the $1 field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array in awk outputs multiple values

Disclaimer: OP is 100% Awk beginner. I use this code on ASCII files I need to report against. awk 'BEGIN { tokens = 0 tokens = 0 tokens = 0 } { for (token in tokens) { if ($1 == token){print $0; tokens++;}}} END {for (token in tokens){ if( tokens ==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - Different outputs *Question*

I'm having a small issue with AWK: I run this in PUTTY: awk 'BEGIN{FS=","}NR==FNR{A=$1;next}{if (A==$1) print $0}' FILE1 FILE2 And it gives me the output that I expect. I wanted to create a file.awk file that i could just run instead of typing this out all the time. But its not giving my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk giving different outputs each time

I have a strange issue. (awk '$3 == "nfs" { cnt++ }; END { print cnt }' /etc/fstab) This is giving different count each time. To test this, tried the one here -bash-3.2$ awk '/nfs/{print $2}' /etc/fstab | wc -l 151 -bash-3.2$ awk '/nfs/{print $2}' /etc/fstab | wc -l 145... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshmsi
6 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD