Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 3digit block separated by a dot and a hyphen Post 302969186 by RudiC on Saturday 19th of March 2016 09:52:19 AM
Old 03-19-2016
What's wrong with
Code:
echo $RANDOM.$RANDOM.$RANDOM

?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of hyphen in #! line

In one script i have seen - in #! line can somebody explain the meaning of -(hyphen) here #! /bin/sh - (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a hyphen every 2 characters of every line

I have a text file like this with hundreds of lines: >cat file1.txt 1027123000 1027124000 1127125000 1128140000 1228143000 > all lines are very similar and have exactly 10 digits. I want to separate the digits by twodigit and hyphens....like so, > 10-27-12-30-00 10-27-12-40-00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hyphen char after shebang notation

Hi, I have a trivial question to ask, I am seeing in some shell scripts the '-' (hyphen) character following the first line of shell script (i.e) the shebang notation as follows: #!/bin/sh - #! /bin/bash - what does the hyphen signify? What will happen if it is not given explicitly? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the last hyphen

I want to check for more than one hyphen and then hold the first one and delete the rest of the hyphen. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)\1/\1/' but this doesn't work. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)-\1/ \1/g' but here the script delete all the hyphen. I want to go from this : I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace first hyphen

How do I use awk to replace the first hyphen of a specific record? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Comma separated values to space separated

Hi, I have a large number of files which are written as csv (comma-separated values). Does anyone know of simple sed/awk command do achieve this? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ---------- Guess I asked this too soon. Found the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple block of lines in one comma separated line

Hi Everyone, On my Linux box I have a text file having block of few lines and this block lines separated by one blank line. I would like to format and print these lines in such a way that this entire block of lines will come as single comma separated line & again next block of lines in next... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing a substring containing a hyphen

I'm attempting to replace a substring that contains a hyphen and not having much success, can anyone point out where i'm going wrong or suggest an alternative. # echo /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow | sed -e 's|vm888-clone|qaz|g' /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting directory with leading hyphen in name

I asked this question last month in Stack Exchange (linux - delete directory with leading hyphen - Server Fault) and none of the answers supplied worked. I have somehow created a directory with a leading hyphen and cannot get rid of it. # ls -li | grep p 2621441 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
RANDOM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(3)

NAME
random, srandom, initstate, setstate - random number generator. SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> long int random(void); void srandom(unsigned int seed); char *initstate(unsigned int seed, char *state, size_t n); char *setstate(char *state); DESCRIPTION
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to RAND_MAX. The period of this random number generator is very large, approx- imately 16*((2**31)-1). The srandom() function sets its argument as the seed for a new sequence of pseudo-random integers to be returned by random(). These sequences are repeatable by calling srandom() with the same seed value. If no seed value is provided, the random() function is automati- cally seeded with a value of 1. The initstate() function allows a state array state to be initialized for use by random(). The size of the state array n is used by init- state() to decide how sophisticated a random number generator it should use -- the larger the state array, the better the random numbers will be. seed is the seed for the initialization, which specifies a starting point for the random number sequence, and provides for restarting at the same point. The setstate() function changes the state array used by the random() function. The state array state is used for random number generation until the next call to initstate() or setstate(). state must first have been initialized using initstate() or be the result of a previous call of setstate(). RETURN VALUE
The random() function returns a value between 0 and RAND_MAX. The srandom() function returns no value. The initstate() and setstate() functions return a pointer to the previous state array, or NULL on error. ERRORS
EINVAL A state array of less than 8 bytes was specified to initstate(). NOTES
Current "optimal" values for the size of the state array n are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes; other amounts will be rounded down to the nearest known amount. Using less than 8 bytes will cause an error. CONFORMING TO
BSD 4.3 SEE ALSO
rand(3), srand(3) GNU
2000-08-20 RANDOM(3)