Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine two Fields if there's a comma between Post 302969097 by RudiC on Friday 18th of March 2016 04:02:47 AM
Old 03-18-2016
Actually, I can't see the problem here. ".csv" implies (but doesn't insist) fields to be separated by commas (or semicolons). Spreadsheet programs would show three fields (by default) with your above data. But - when reading (any) text file, you usually can select the field separator; setting it to | will yield exactly what you seem to be after: Supplies Station, Inc. and KARISSA APPAREL, INC. - 112012 in fields 2 and 3, resp.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine fields and eliminate white space

Good Morning, Newbie here. Could someone help with shell scripting that will enable me to combine 2 fields into one eliminating the white space. The fields are fixed but the data of course varies. For example: First Name: "George " 20 positions" Last Name: "Washington " 30 positions" I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort the fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma delimited file. I want to sort the fields alphabetically and again store them in a comma delimited file. For example, My file looks like this. abc,aaa,xyz,xxx,def pqr,ggg,eee,iii,qqq zyx,lmo,pqr,abc,fff and I want my output to look like this, all fields sorted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swethapatil
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming fields for comma or pipe seperated file

I have file like this FileA: abc , "helloworld" , america def,asia, japan ghi, africa, ipl Output Needed: abc,"helloworld",america def,asia,japan ghi,africa,ipl I would like to implement using awk. I want to trim each field for its leading and trailing spaces. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to combine fields from different files

linus>cat data1 8119463 | 15000 8136789 | 50000 8152238 | 15000 8167890 | 15000 7155789 | 15000 8123334 | 30000 7166330 | 15000 8146683 | 15000 8152238 | 15000 8167877 | 15000 7145389 | 15000 8178434 | 15000 7166222 | 50000 8167566 | 15000 8115410 | 45000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleb
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine first,second and third fields in a file

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: 1 2 3 There are 5 spaces between 1 and 2 and one space between 2 and 3. I want: 123 How can I do this using awk? I tried using: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine two files based on fields?

I have two files which are as follows: File 1: 1 abc 250 2 pqr 300 3 xyz 100 File 2: 1 abc 230 2 pqr 700 3 xyz 500 Now I need output File, File 3as: S.No Name Count1 Count2 1 abc 250 230 2 pqr 300 700 3 xyz 100 500 NOTE: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and combine fields

Hi all, 1. I have a log file 2011/11/14 00:42:50 | 38:guess pid=008499 opened Testing 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/11/14 11:43:42 | 38:guess pid=008499 closed 2011/11/14 11:47:08 | 39:guess pid=017567 opened Testing 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/11/14 11:47:08 | 40:guess pid=012780 opened Testing 0, 1,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to combine fields with sort/join

I have a file with two fields in it delimited by a comma. Some of the first fields are duplicates. I am trying to eliminate any duplicate records in the first field, and combine the second fields in the output file. For example, if the input is: Jane,group=A Bob,group=A Bob,group=D... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to format file and combine two fields using comma

I am trying to use awk to format the file below, which is tab-delimited. The desired out is space delimited and is in the order of $9 $13 $2 $10-$11.$10 and $11 are often times multiple values separated by a comma, so the value in $10 is combined with the first value from $11 using the comma.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
pilot-addresses(1)					      General Commands Manual						pilot-addresses(1)

NAME
pilot-addresses - read and write address book databases to and from a Palm handheld device, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Han- dera, TRGPro, Sony or other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device SYNOPSIS
pilot-addresses -p <port> [-c category ] [-d category ] [-r file | -w file ] (Note that some options are not shown above) DESCRIPTION
pilot-addresses allows the user to read all entries in the Palm address book database, write new entries into the database, and delete a category or delete all entries in the database. TARGET DEVICE
The default serial device used to communicate with a Palm is /dev/pilot. If the environment variable $PILOTPORT is set, its value will override the default. A serial device specified on the command-line will be used regardless of any $PILOTPORT setting. OPTIONS
Several options exist, including... -p --port <port>, Use device file port to communicate with the Palm handheld device. If this is not specified, will look for the $PILOTPORT environ- ment variable. If both are not found, will fall back to /dev/pilot. -h --help Display help synopsis for pilot-addresses -v --version Display version of pilot-addresses -a Augments fields in address book records with additional information. The augmented information is placed before and separated from the field with a semi-colon, (;). Augmented information includes: category_name - placed in front of each record or ["Work" | "Home" | "Fax" | "Other" | "E-mail" | "Main" | "Pager" | "Mobile" ] - placed in front of each phone number field. Empty fields are not augmented. -c category Install records to category category by default. Normally pilot-addresses uses Unfiled as the default category. This option is over- ridden by the category specified in the record with the -a option. -d category Delete all records in the specified category before installing new records. -D Delete all address book records in all categories. Obviously, be very careful with this one. -e Escape all special characters with a backslash. This enables you to read and write entries with newline characters in a field or note. -q Causes pilot-addresses to be quiet and not prompt you to press the HotSync button. -r file Reads records from file and install them to the Palm address book database. (Use the -w file to get a template file for input records.) -t delim Include category in each record, use the delimiter specified to separate all fields of a record. Delimiters are specified as fol- lows: 3=tab, 2=;, 1=,. This overrides the default delimiter of comma between fields and semi-colon between a field's augmented information. (Please note that this may generate confusing results when used with the -a option.) -T Write a header line with field titles as the first line of the data file. -w file Get all address book records from the Palm address book database and writes them into file USAGE
The program will connect to a target device and port, prompt the user to HotSync, and perform the requested read or write operation speci- fied by the user. EXAMPLES
To write all address records in a Palm to the file addrbook.csv: pilot-addresses -w addrbook.csv or pilot-addresses -p /dev/irnine -w addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and install them on a Palm: pilot-addresses -r addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and place them into the Palm address book database category Special after first deleting all current records in the Special category on the palm: pilot-addresses -c Special -d Special -r addrbook.csv SEE ALSO
pilot-link(7) KNOWN BUGS
pilot-addresses has no known bugs. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.pilot-link.org/ AUTHOR
pilot-addresses originally written by Kenneth Albanowski, manual page was written by Robert Wittig <bob.wittig@gt.org>. Free Software Foundation Palm Computing Device Tools pilot-addresses(1)