Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Perl] split on : but with extra challenge Post 302968947 by ejdv on Wednesday 16th of March 2016 11:11:24 AM
Old 03-16-2016
Thanks a lot for your time!
Works perfectly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl split function

$mystring = "name:blk:house::"; print "$mystring\n"; @s_format = split(/:/, $mystring); for ($i=0; $i <= $#s_format; $i++) { print "index is $i,field is $s_format"; print "\n"; } $size = $#s_format + 1; print "total size of array is $size\n"; i am expecting my size to be 5, why is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use split function in perl

Hello, if i have file like this: 010000890306932455804 05306977653873 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC30693599000 30971360000 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ202011302942311 010000890306946317387 05306977313623 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC306942190000 30971360000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split question

hi, I have a seemingly really stupid question, but here goes! What do you enter into split delimiter to seperate something like this "December 12, 1995" and get December 12 1995 ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade214
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: castle
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split, but ignoring extra delimiters

Hi all, I'm going bonkers trying to figure something out that is probably simple for most of you. I have a choice between getting therapy for this or coming here to ask for help. I chose the latter. :D What I'm trying to do is perform a split on a line but only one split. For example, let's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goober
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression in Perl - very challenge

Hi expert, As we know in regular expression, means neither a nor b. Now the question is how to consider <ab> as a whole part or somehow a single char. Something like which is meaning neither ( nor a nor b nor ). Or do we have another way for this? The real requirement is as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the string in perl

Hi All, How to split the string KAR_Celltick_Ban_GSMGW3 and want to pickup the third filed. Sometime the string may be "KAR_Celltick_Ban" like this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sujit_kashyap
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interesting awk/Perl/sed parsing challenge

I have a log with entries like: out/target/product/imx53_smd/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/Source/WebCore/bindings/V8HTMLVideoElement.cpp : target thumb C++: libwebcore <=... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split and array

Hello, I have the following code: while ($line = <fd_in>) { 126 $line = " " . $line ; 127 print "our_line:$line\n"; 128 @list = split (/\s+/, $line) ; 129 print "after_split:@list\n"; 130 print "$list\t$list\t$list\t$list\t$list\t$list$list\t\n"; 131 $len =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit - Write "split /-/, $string" instead of "split '-', $string". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The "split" function always interprets the PATTERN argument as a regular expression, even if you specify it as a string. This causes much confusion if the string contains regex metacharacters. So for clarity, always express the PATTERN argument as a regex. $string = 'Fred|Barney'; @names = split '|', $string; #not ok, is ('F', 'r', 'e', 'd', '|', 'B', 'a' ...) @names = split m/[|]/, $string; #ok, is ('Fred', Barney') When the PATTERN is a single space the "split" function has special behavior, so Perl::Critic forgives that usage. See "perldoc -f split" for more information. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)