Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How can AIX get the disk serial number? Post 302968689 by MichaelFelt on Sunday 13th of March 2016 02:56:01 PM
Old 03-13-2016
* What I recall is that VPD is provided by the device (driver) via queries - as agent.kgb suggested.

* The VPD (or ODM file CuVPD (for Cu(rrent) VPD is primarily, perhaps solely, as a way to determine the firmware of a device without actually querying the device. What I also recall is when VPD status is changed (e.g., a new disk drive firmware) the VPD is updated.

** So, who is responsible? The device driver would be my simple answer.

* A related question (that you did not pose) is how does AIX keep track of a disk - is it new, or just moved within the system?

The primary means to identify a disk (volume) is to use the PVID - which is an ID that AIX assigns when the disk (aka volume) is first assigned to a volume group. There is a second attribute "unique_id" that may also be used. This value, most generally, is derived from a WWID of some kind especially for LUNs from SAN, or VSCSI.

So, a virtual (scsi) disk may not have any VPD data - as it is not physical!

As an example, my hdisk0 - it's VSCSI.

Code:
michael@x071:[/home/michael/]odmget -q name=hdisk0 CuDv

CuDv:
        name = "hdisk0"
        status = 1
        chgstatus = 2
        ddins = "scsidisk"
        location = ""
        parent = "vscsi0"
        connwhere = "810000000000"
        PdDvLn = "disk/vscsi/vdisk"

Code:
michael@x071:[/home/michael/]odmget -q name=hdisk0 CuAt

CuAt:
        name = "hdisk0"
        attribute = "unique_id"
        value = "352000c291f5ae0a75a5000000000000000005VDASD03AIXvscsi"
        type = "R"
        generic = ""
        rep = "n"
        nls_index = 0

CuAt:
        name = "hdisk0"
        attribute = "pvid"
        value = "00c291f5ae30ce0b0000000000000000"
        type = "R"
        generic = "D"
        rep = "s"
        nls_index = 11

Code:
michael@x071:[/home/michael/]odmget -q name=hdisk0 CuVPD
# no output !

Hope this helps your understanding of AIX disk administration.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

serial number for E3500

just wanted to know the serial number of my machine E3500 with Solaris 8 installed.Does any one who what's the command that i can use when the OS is running?( not with the Banner Command!) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tape Serial Number

Hello Experts, I've got a shell script that makes the backup of the files that i want. I also have this script showing the amount of files backed up and in witch folders they are. It's only missing one thing. I got all the information beeing stored in a text file and all i've got to do is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

3. AIX

how to find serial number

hi how to find ( server machine )serial number throught the command in AIX thanks for your replay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
3 Replies

4. Programming

hard disk serial number

can anybody tell me API for find serial number of local hard disk or remote hard disk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munnu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Serial number

Hi Solarizer ;) I have face the difficulties of gathering information about the serial number of sun machine. i think its can do so easy while the machine is just one or two. But i have to administrate hundreds of sun machine. Any body knows how to gather this information by the command ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
4 Replies

7. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Anyone know how to get Serial number with 1 command?

Solaris8 Anyone help? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
27 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bind serial number

Hello folks. Please let me understand the bind serial number. I am confuse. 13011321 ---------- Post updated at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:55 AM ---------- Thanks problem is solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies
SG_RMSN(8)							     SG3_UTILS								SG_RMSN(8)

NAME
sg_rmsn - sends a SCSI READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER command SYNOPSIS
sg_rmsn [--help] [--raw] [--readonly] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
Send a SCSI READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER command to DEVICE and outputs the response. This command is described in SPC-3 found at www.t10.org . It was originally added to SPC-3 in revision 11 (2003/2/12). It is not an manda- tory command and the author has not seen any SCSI devices that support it. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -r, --raw sends the serial number (if found) to stdout. This output may contain non-printable characters (e.g. the serial number is padded with NULLs at the end so its length is a multiple of 4). The default action is to print the serial number out in ASCII-HEX with ASCII characters to the right. All error messages are sent to stderr. -R, --readonly opens the DEVICE read-only rather than read-write which is the default. The Linux sg driver needs read-write access for the SCSI READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER command but other access methods may require read-only access. -v, --verbose increase the level of verbosity, (i.e. debug output). -V, --version print the version string and then exit. NOTES
Device identification information is also found in a standard INQUIRY response and its VPD pages (see sg_vpd). The relevant VPD pages are the "device identification page" (VPD page 0x83) and the "unit serial number" page (VPD page 0x80). The MMC-4 command set for CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BD drives has a "media serial number" feature (0x109) [and a "logical unit serial number" feature]. These can be viewed with sg_get_config. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_rmsn is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_vpd(sg3_utils), sg_get_config(sg3_utils) sg3_utils-1.31 February 2011 SG_RMSN(8)