Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Find device ID for partition in Solaris 11? Post 302968420 by gull04 on Wednesday 9th of March 2016 10:35:03 AM
Old 03-09-2016
Hi,

In Solaris, it would normally be /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 (Controller 2, Target 0, Disk 0) this is then followed by the Slice id - which can be 0 to 7, with 2 usually being the whole disk and called backup.

Here it would look like you will use /dev/dsk/c2t0d0s0

If you are looking at an other partition on the disk that is NFS exported or you want to mount it directly, there are several things to check.

It may show as being on an other controller.
It may need an other machine available to serve the mount.

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 03-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: More Info

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Find a Fat32 partition under solaris 10 x86

Hello, I use Sun Solaris 10 under a x86 computer, and I want to mount a Fat32 partition who are stored in the same disk with the UFS filesystem. But, before mount this partition, I need to know is location in /dev/dsk Because there are a lot of file "c0t0d0" etc..., and I didn't find my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willits
4 Replies

2. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

3. AIX

How to find all device on p570 when need do device firmware upgrade?

I need upgrade firmware for the device of p570, when I go to IBM FIX download website, there are a lot of device of p570 listed. How can I know what device I have on my p570? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

This doesn't look like a partition table Probably you selected the wrong device.

Hi, I need to mount the device from this device # fdisk -l . . . Disk /dev/sdas: 2000.4 GB, 2000365289472 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243197 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
0 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)