Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with file processing using awk Post 302968212 by julearn on Saturday 5th of March 2016 11:04:34 AM
Old 03-05-2016
Thank you!, appreciate... it works like a charm.
But can you let me know how to print two more columns accordingly,
cos when I tried with printing $3 and $4 it always printed the final column value

<<ignore the header>>
Code:
user role  location eid
-------------------------
AAA  add  UK  1
AAA  delete  US  4
BBB  delete  CA  5
CCC  delete  AU  2
DDD  add  FR  3
BBB  add  IN  4

expected output :
Code:
user role  location  eid
-------------------------
AAA  add  UK  1
BBB  add  IN  4
CCC  delete  AU  2
DDD  add  FR  3

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-05-2016 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

processing a file with sed and awk

Hello, I have what is probably a simple task in text manipulation, but I just can't wrap my brain around it. I have a text file that looks something like the following. Note that some have middle initials in the first field and some don't. john.r.smith:john.smith@yahoo.com... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manouche
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the current file processing to some other random file in awk ?

Hello, say suppose i am processing an file emp.dat the field of which are deptno empno empname etc now say suppose i want to change the file to emp.lst then how can i do it? Here i what i attempted but in vain BEGIN{ system("sort emp.dat > emp.lst") FILENAME="emp.lst" } { print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

poor performance processing file with awk

Hello, I'm running a script on AIX to process lines in a file. I need to enclose the second column in quotation marks and write each line to a new file. I've come up with the following: #!/bin/ksh filename=$1 exec >> $filename.new cat $filename | while read LINE do echo $LINE | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter53080
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help in processing file.

I am trying to process file which has following data #23456789012345 ACNASPSA13N0N0 ACNAPCPA05N0N0 ACNAFATS11N0N0 I want to take out each line from the file and what to put in the file by name which if part of the line starting from offset 10 to 15. It means I want to create three file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

5. Programming

AWK processing of a three-column file

I have a 3-column data file, for which I wish to print certain parts of $3 PHI PSI A(x) -177.5 -177.5 1.0625 -177.5 -172.5 0.55 -177.5 -167.5 0.0478125 -177.5 -162.5 0 -177.5 -157.5 0.284375 -177.5 -152.5 0.187188 -177.5 -147.5 0.236875 -177.5 -142.5 0.383438 -177.5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Processing (AWK)

Input File: 1234, 2345,abc 1,24141,gw 222,rff,sds 2232145,sdsd,121 Output file to be generated: 000001234,2345,abc 000000001,24141,gw 000000222,rff,sds 002232145,sdsd,121 i.e; the first column is padded to get 9 digits. I tried with following: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Processing (AWK)

Input File: 1234, 2345,abc 1,24141,gw 222,rff,sds 2232145,sdsd,121 Output file to be generated: 000001234,2345,abc 000000001,24141,gw 000000222,rff,sds 002232145,sdsd,121 i.e; the first column is padded to get 9 digits. I tried with following: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a formatted file with awk

Hi - I want to interrogate information about my poker hands, sessions are all recorded in a text file in a particular format. Each hand starts with the string <PokerStars> followed by a unique hand reference and other data like date/time. There is then all the information about each hand. My first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbeech23
5 Replies
AutoSplit(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    AutoSplit(3pm)

NAME
AutoSplit - split a package for autoloading SYNOPSIS
autosplit($file, $dir, $keep, $check, $modtime); autosplit_lib_modules(@modules); DESCRIPTION
This function will split up your program into files that the AutoLoader module can handle. It is used by both the standard perl libraries and by the MakeMaker utility, to automatically configure libraries for autoloading. The "autosplit" interface splits the specified file into a hierarchy rooted at the directory $dir. It creates directories as needed to reflect class hierarchy, and creates the file autosplit.ix. This file acts as both forward declaration of all package routines, and as timestamp for the last update of the hierarchy. The remaining three arguments to "autosplit" govern other options to the autosplitter. $keep If the third argument, $keep, is false, then any pre-existing "*.al" files in the autoload directory are removed if they are no longer part of the module (obsoleted functions). $keep defaults to 0. $check The fourth argument, $check, instructs "autosplit" to check the module currently being split to ensure that it includes a "use" specifi- cation for the AutoLoader module, and skips the module if AutoLoader is not detected. $check defaults to 1. $modtime Lastly, the $modtime argument specifies that "autosplit" is to check the modification time of the module against that of the "autosplit.ix" file, and only split the module if it is newer. $modtime defaults to 1. Typical use of AutoSplit in the perl MakeMaker utility is via the command-line with: perl -e 'use AutoSplit; autosplit($ARGV[0], $ARGV[1], 0, 1, 1)' Defined as a Make macro, it is invoked with file and directory arguments; "autosplit" will split the specified file into the specified directory and delete obsolete ".al" files, after checking first that the module does use the AutoLoader, and ensuring that the module is not already currently split in its current form (the modtime test). The "autosplit_lib_modules" form is used in the building of perl. It takes as input a list of files (modules) that are assumed to reside in a directory lib relative to the current directory. Each file is sent to the autosplitter one at a time, to be split into the directory lib/auto. In both usages of the autosplitter, only subroutines defined following the perl __END__ token are split out into separate files. Some rou- tines may be placed prior to this marker to force their immediate loading and parsing. Multiple packages As of version 1.01 of the AutoSplit module it is possible to have multiple packages within a single file. Both of the following cases are supported: package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } package NAME::option1; sub BBB { ... } package NAME::option2; sub BBB { ... } package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } sub NAME::option1::BBB { ... } sub NAME::option2::BBB { ... } DIAGNOSTICS
"AutoSplit" will inform the user if it is necessary to create the top-level directory specified in the invocation. It is preferred that the script or installation process that invokes "AutoSplit" have created the full directory path ahead of time. This warning may indicate that the module is being split into an incorrect path. "AutoSplit" will warn the user of all subroutines whose name causes potential file naming conflicts on machines with drastically limited (8 characters or less) file name length. Since the subroutine name is used as the file name, these warnings can aid in portability to such systems. Warnings are issued and the file skipped if "AutoSplit" cannot locate either the __END__ marker or a "package Name;"-style specification. "AutoSplit" will also emit general diagnostics for inability to create directories or files. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 AutoSplit(3pm)