Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Input redirection script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Input redirection script Post 302968194 by Don Cragun on Saturday 5th of March 2016 02:52:42 AM
Old 03-05-2016
I'm not sure I'm following what is going on here, but I think you want something more like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
rm -f /tmp/pipe
mkfifo /tmp/pipe
./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe &
while [ 1 ]
do
  mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe
  sleep 65;
done > /tmp/pipe

This assumes that yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 is reading data from standard input and feeding it into your display device while mplayer is converting tom_and_jerry.mp4 into a format that yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 reads and directs its output to the file named by the -vo yuv4mpeg:file=pathname option's option argument.

It also assumes that mplayer does not write anything to its standard output (and that nothing else inside the while loop writes anything to standard output). The FIFO has to be kept open by something on both the read end (which is being done by yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2) and on the write end (which I am doing with the redirection on the while loop). If mplayer is the only thing writing to the FIFO, the write end will close after mplayer finishes the conversion once and yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 will see an EOF.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking about shell script input output redirection

Hi, Can anyone please tell me what these lines do? ls >& outfile ls outfile 2>&1 Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

permanent redirection of standard input

while running a user inter-active program how can we get the commands from a file instead of the user? is there anyway to permanently redirect content of a file to standard input? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password required when using input redirection

Hello, I need to change user and run some commands by using a script. lets say, I'm using su - someuser << start password required -----> how can I enter the password here command 1 command 2 command 3 command 4 start While trying to run this I got the following message: "standard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for Input Redirection in my script?

All, I have a requirement to write a script where I check for Input redirection when the script was executed, based on which I handle my logic. Below is the example: my.script #! /bin/ksh # Not sure how to frame the if condition below if ; then echo "Input Redirected from a file" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input and output redirection filename within a script

Hello everyone, My requirement is that within a script I need to construct the command line exactly that it was invoked with. For example : sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt > output.txt Now within a.sh, I construct a file which has these contents " sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt >... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedonist12
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When do I use input redirection?

Can someone please explain when input redirection is necessary? For example, "cat filename" and "cat< filename" produce the same result. I was told that if I need to bunzip a file that I should type "bunzip2<filename.bz2." However, if I omit the "<" I still get the same result. Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection within bash script

Hi, when I try to redirect input and the command is described as a string within an array redirection does not work. why? #!/bin/bash dir=("tail < ./hello.txt") tail < ./hello.txt #works ${dir} #does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinzel
2 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess communication channel SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]) DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. PIPE_MAX equals 7168 under Minix, but note that most systems use 4096. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. The signal SIGPIPE is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. RETURN VALUE
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred. ERRORS
The pipe call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOSPC] The pipe file system (usually the root file system) has no free inodes. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2). NOTES
Writes may return ENOSPC errors if no pipe data can be buffered, because the pipe file system is full. BUGS
Should more than PIPE_MAX bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. 4th Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 PIPE(2)