Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare file size and then copy/overwrite Post 302968020 by Daniel Gate on Wednesday 2nd of March 2016 01:21:28 PM
Old 03-02-2016
Compare file size and then copy/overwrite

// Redhat

I have this code working, but need to add one more qualification so that I don't overwrite the files.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/
for f in *
do      [ -f "$f" ] || continue     #If this isn't a regular file, skip it.
        [ -e "/P2/backup/$f" ] && continue  #If a backup already exists, skip it.
        cp "$f" /P2/backup/          # Make a backup copy.
done

What I like to do is:

1) compare the size of the same file (i.e. p2_000001.gz).
2) if the file size (p2_000001.gz) under /P2/backup/ is larger than that under /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/, then skip it
3) if if the file size (p2_000001.gz) under /P2/backup/ is smaller than that under /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/, then copy or overwrite

In this case, /P2/backup/ will have always the latest file.

Please advise. Appreciate your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare file size after ftp?

Is possible if I want to campare file size on source and destination after ftp transfer? If anybody know, please explain to me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icemania
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file size from a output file from a script

Hi guys, firstly I'm working on SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 I've made a script to compress two directory and then send them to an other server via ftp. This is working very well. Inside theis script I decide to log usefull data for troubleshooting in case of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare size of two file which is in one directory

I have two file in a Directory.I want a script which will compare the Size of Two file. Can Anyone Help me on this: linasplg11:/opt/dataout/kk/linasplg11 # cat size -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16658 Jan 8 13:58 lina_IP_SIP_1231325621210.xml -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16672 Jan 8 14:30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a file based on the size-Urgent

Hi, I need unix code to check the size of a file. for example if the size of the file in A folder is more than 1BM, then i have to move that particular file in to B folder whenever I run that particular script. regards, Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vysrinivas
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PSFTP- Compare file size

Hi, I'm using PSFTP to transfer files from one machine to a virtual machine with UBUNTU OS installed on it. I'm trying to find a way to make sure the files that I'm uploading / downloading are being uploaded/ downloaded properly. I want to compare the size of the local file and the remote... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sessie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Compare file size and delete the smaller

I am pretty new to scripting, so I appreciate your advice in advance. The problem: 100 directories each containing 2 files that have the same extension with random names. The only attribute that discriminates the files is size. I would like to write a script that compares the files for size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

overwrite only if both files are the same size

Dear users, I've been looking for a way to overwrite files only if both have the same size, how could I do this? any help is very appreciated. Best regards, Gery (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files, then overwrite first file with only that in both files

I want to compare two files, and search for items that are in both. Then override the first file with that containing only elements which were in both files. I imagine something with diff, but not sure. File 1 One Two Three Four Five File 2 One Three Four Six Eight (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to overwrite & before that keep copy a file on many servers

I have ssh password less auth enable & script does the job well as well #/bin/bash for i in `cat ip` do scp /etc/resolv.conf root@$ip done But I need to take backup of the file i will overwrite .. is there any simple way ? Kindly respond (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file dates before copy

Sometimes when I boot, my system goes into emergency mode. I then use Clonezilla to restore an image. Usually the image is older than the current date. This is part of a backup script that runs as a startup program. cd /home/andy/bin/ zip -u -q Ubuntu_Scripts.zip *.sh *.rb *.c *.py... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
22 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)