Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Auto transfer all aliases from one profile to another Post 302967864 by mohtashims on Monday 29th of February 2016 11:27:33 AM
Old 02-29-2016
Hammer & Screwdriver Auto transfer all aliases from one profile to another

Hi,

I login to Linux and Solaris server using my personal user account "ms1104" .

I have several aliases set in my profile.

Later i need to switch to another user account i.e. "wlsuser" and below is the command i use

Code:
sudo -u wlsuser -s -H

i do not have authority to modify the profile for wlsuser account.

I wish to carry all my aliases from "ms1104" to "wlsuser" and all the aliases should work after switching to account "wlsuser"

Last edited by mohtashims; 02-29-2016 at 12:45 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Programming

aliases

Hi. I have a C program that is using the **environ pointer and I am trying to set up aliases for a system("/bin/ksh") call. This works for other environment variables but not for the aliases. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks ahead of time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mluey61
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliases

Is there a way to view what aliases are running on a given session? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. SCO

Difference between .profile and .~/.profile

what is the difference between these two lines, if we use it in korn shell script: .profile .~/.profile (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maneesh mehta
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

etc aliases

Hello: i have several server with own etc aliases. right now i want to combine it all into a general etc aliases in a new freebsd server. cause it consist hundred thousand of record user inside how to make a shell script to combine it or configure it. all etc aliases record example: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterLfs
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between /etc/profile and .profile?

What is the difference between /etc/profile and .profile? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
5 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i call aliases from my .profile?

Hello all, Please my shell is ksh. I created .profile such that users can pick environments they want to use: echo Select your Environment!! echo " 1. Nigeria DEV" echo " 2. UEMOA DEV" echo " 3. CEMOA DEV" echo "Make your choice : \c" read choice if then ... fi if then (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mofaloks
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the profile file that is auto executed when I login

Hi, I dont find any .profile under my user home directory. These are the only files i see in my home directory. # ls -laq total 44 drwx------ 4 user1 adm 4096 Nov 23 05:10 . drwxr-xr-x. 12 root root 4096 Nov 22 13:05 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 adm 18 Nov 22 13:05 .bash_logout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies