Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris NFS - concurrent write to same file normal ? Post 302967642 by javanoob on Thursday 25th of February 2016 10:38:11 PM
Old 02-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
This behavior is actually perfectly normal whether NFS is used or not.

It is simply a consequence of the editor you use, here the legacy BSD vi, not doing any concurrent edition avoidance.

Should you have used vim, the editor would have prevented or at least warned you about the situation regardless of whether the file system is local or remote, and supports file locking or not. vim tries to create a temporary file (.swp) when you open a file in read/write mode. Should this file already exists, it ask you about the issue and wait for your decision.
Hi Jilliagre and all,

Thanks for your reply.

I have assume NFS would have built some auto-lock mechanism beneath the application layer (irregardless of the application used), so that concurrent access are restricted.
But guess i am wrong.

Regards,
Noob

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Write permisson in NFS mounting

Hi all i have done set up for nfs. at server <dir> <client IP>/<netmask>(rw,sync) at client mount -o rw -nfs <server IP>:<dir1><dir2> with this i am successful in mounting the directory with write permission. But the write permission is not activate in client machine for the file which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhakti
5 Replies

2. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Write problem in NFS

Hi Gurus, I am trying to share certain file with NFS. Requirement is to give access to root of another host to some file system which is shared through NFS. Step1. I entered the below line in /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F nfs -o root=sun2 /usr/src ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

NFS mount read and write

Dear all, I have a server A and Client B. I am mounting a folder which is Server A using read and write options in client B. I have put entries in /etc/exports file as /mnt1/load *(rw,sync) In the client i cannot create any new file or delete any file eventhough it is read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
3 Replies

5. AIX

Write once on NFS file system

Hello Guru's We are trying to save some data for 10 -15 yrs. so we created a NFS share file system and mounted on AIX 5.3 servers, keeping in mind that we might need to replace the expired disk/bad disk every 2 yrs or 4 yrs. Now we are trying to solve. How to protect it from getting deleted... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
6 Replies

6. AIX

Normal VG to Enhanced Concurrent VG

Hi All, I am going to perform some activity in 2Node HA Server(Active/Passive). For that i have to do some pre-requsite (ie., Resource Group VG's should be Enhanced-Concurrent) In my setup, we have two volume groups in one RG. In that one VG is Normal and another is Enhance Concurrent. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to write to a mounted NFS share

Hi All, I created a nfs share in the server(Solaris 10) with the following command and also updated the dfstab file share -F nfs -o rw=server_name2,anon=0 /to_share And then in the client(solaris 10) added the following command to mount the share mount -F nfs server_name1:/to_share... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
4 Replies

8. AIX

Difference between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VG

Hi, What are the differences between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VGs.? Any advantages of enhanced concurrent VG over normal concurrent vg Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

9. AIX

NFS multiple write error.

Hi, We are taking the mksysb backup to NIM server's NFS mount point (/backup). We have mounted /backup to all the clients /backup and full permission. When multiple mksysb backup starting simultaneously to the NIM server's shared NFS mount point then only one backup is running and all others... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
3 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
lockd(1M)                                                 System Administration Commands                                                 lockd(1M)

NAME
lockd - network lock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/lockd [-g graceperiod] [-l listen_min_backlog] [-t timeout] [nthreads] DESCRIPTION
The lockd utility is part of the NFS lock manager, which supports record locking operations on NFS files. See fcntl(2) and lockf(3C). The lock manager provides the following two functions: o It forwards fcntl(2) locking requests for NFS mounted file systems to the lock manager on the NFS server. o It generates local file locking operations in response to requests forwarded from lock managers running on NFS client machines. State information kept by the lock manager about these locking requests can be lost if the lockd is killed or the operating system is rebooted. Some of this information can be recovered as follows. When the server lock manager restarts, it waits for a grace period for all client-site lock managers to submit reclaim requests. Client-site lock managers, on the other hand, are notified by the status monitor dae- mon, statd(1M), of the restart and promptly resubmit previously granted lock requests. If the lock daemon fails to secure a previously granted lock at the server site, then it sends SIGLOST to a process. Administrators can make changes to the startup parameters for lockd by logging in as root and editing the /etc/default/nfs file (See nfs(4)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -g graceperiod Deprecated in favor of GRACE_PERIOD. Specify the number of seconds that all clients (both NLM and NFSv4) have to reclaim locks after the server reboots. It also controls the NFSv4 lease interval. This option is equivalent to the LOCKD_GRACE_PERIOD parameter. -l listen_min_backlog Specify the listener backlog (listen_min_backlog). listen_min_backlog is the number connect requests that are queued and waiting to be processed before new connect requests start to get dropped. -t timeout Specify the number of seconds to wait before retransmitting a lock request to the remote server. The default value is 15 seconds. Equivalent of the LOCKD_RETRANSMIT_TIMEOUT parameter in the nfs file. OPERANDS
nthreads Specify the maximum number of concurrent threads that the server can handle. This concurrency is achieved by up to nthreads threads created as needed in the kernel. nthreads should be based on the load expected on this server. If nthreads is not specified, the maximum number of concurrent threads will default to 20. Equivalent of the LOCKD_SERVERS parameter in the nfs file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), automountd(1M), clear_locks(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share(1M), share_nfs(1M), statd(1M), svcadm(1M), fcntl(2), lockf(3C), nfs(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The lockd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/nfs/nlockmgr Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. If it is disabled, it will be enabled by mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), and automountd(1M) unless its application/auto_enable prop- erty is set to false. This daemon might not exist in a future release of Solaris. SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 2004 lockd(1M)