Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able read data with cat command Post 302967217 by kish_rock on Sunday 21st of February 2016 04:43:29 AM
Old 02-21-2016
i want to read all data in file.which i am not getting with this command..i tried lot of options but i still have issue..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat and read command

Here's what the shell (korn) script is doing: 1. Prompt for input 2. Read a file using the cat and the while read command. 3. Get a field on the record and hold that value in a variable. 4. Within the process, I then need to prompt the user again to ask them if they are sure they want to make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mango
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using 'cat' to in 'while read line'

Hi, I'm having some trouble reading a file that was 'cat' through a while loop. Can anyone suggest alternatives? what i do is cat filename|grep *.stuff while read line do echo $line ... and other commands done The cat,grep line seems to work correctly, but the script hangs when i add in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugger06
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help using read in menu script to cat out lines in logs

What is wrong with my menu script? Do I need to continue with the read statements? All I want to do with option 4 is to cat some /var/log/files and awk out a few lines? How do I do that please? $ cat menu.sh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
11 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need some help on using cat command

I have a file "sample.txt" with the content as below: Hi This is a Sample Text. I need a single command using cat which serve the following purpose. 1.display the contents of sample.txt 2.append some text to it 3. and then exit But, all should be served by a sinle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files, lines into array, cat vs open

Hi Everyone, I have a file: a.txt a,b,c,d,6,6,6 1,2,3,d,6,6,6 4,5,6,6,6,6,6 #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @array = (); ### Load file into array for my $i (split '\n', `cat /tmp/a.txt`) { push @array, ; } It works. But my a.txt have 1million lines, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I read variable text files through cat command?

Hi. I'm just wondering how can I read variable text files through cat command. I made a shell script to count frequency of words and array them with variable conditions. It's only working for one file that I wrote in script now. But I want to make it working for every text file when I execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlaxodus
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies