Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash process timer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash process timer Post 302967137 by jim mcnamara on Friday 19th of February 2016 05:11:26 PM
Old 02-19-2016
I think you may want bash coprocesses as a starting suggestion.

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/ma...processes.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup Script "run process with Timer"

Hi I have a script that execute every X minute for checking new files in a folder and converting to pdf. Is there any way to start this script automatically on linux startup?. I use sleep function in script with infinite loop. while do killall -u `whoami` -q soffice soffice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zawmn83
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

starting a bash session as child process to another bash session from a process

Hi I want to do something that might sound strange. I have a code that in written in C and is executed at startup (it's a custom process). It occasionally calls some bash scripts. The process doesn't have any terminal associated with it. One thing I don't know how to do is to start a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catching SIG of running process with bash

Hello all! I'm writing a script that will catch when an outside process crashes (SIGHUP, right?) without having to loop into infinity. With that in mind, I came across the trap utility and thought if could be used to monitor another process other than it's own. But from what I've read, I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mashiox
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Take over a Bash-process.

Hi! I'm not really sure if this is the right forum to post this thread in but I'll try anyway. I was just wondering if it's possible to "take over" a Bash process? For example, if a user is logged in to my server (where I'm root) can I then somehow "clone" his session so I can see what he's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k1piee
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: closing file descriptors from a process

Below is a test script to illustrate a problem from a larger script I am writing. $ cat /tmp/loggingtest #!/bin/bash lvcreate -s -l 100%FREE -n var-data-snapshot vg00/var-data 2> >(logger -t "loggingtest.crit") 1> >(logger -t "loggingtest.info") sync & wait lvremove -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - countdown timer

Hello, I have another problem with my script - I would like to have a countdown timer visible on the screen, and at the same time, I want te be able to do something else. And when the time runs out, I need to know about that inside the script somehow and do some action. I guess that would require 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash process output analysis

Looking to create a script to listen to each output from a task while it is running and launch a function if a specific error message is found at any point and if not to continue uninterrupted. #!/bin/bash read checker <<< $(reaver -i mon0 -b 'target bssid' -vv) if ; then function elif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bash process

I have function f1 and f2, I want it excute five items with different function in the list the the same time with process. I did a testing in start_build_feature1, it sleep about 100s, in the sleeping start_build_feature2 print nothing, can someone help me modify this scripts I don't when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-awk to process thousands of files

Hi to all, I have thousand of files in a folder with names with format "FILE-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM" for what I want to send the following AWK command awk '/Code.*/' FILE-2014* I'd like to separate all files that have the same date to a folder named with the corresponding date. For example, if I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies