Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run a command on multiple hosts Post 302966968 by svajhala on Thursday 18th of February 2016 09:58:57 AM
Old 02-18-2016
Run a command on multiple hosts

I created a script to check for tsm backup status on linux hosts. Script uses a source file to connect to each host and run a dsmc command on each host and write the output back to a output file located on the parent server where the script is running. The script works fine for the first 2 hosts including the parent and then fails with the following error.

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

fdate=$(date "+%Y-%m-%d")
export curr_host=`hostname`

if [ ! -s ${HOME}/hosts.txt ]
  then
  echo "Hosts file is missing or a zero-byte file. Exiting the process" >> log.txt
  exit 1
  else
 echo $HOSTNAME >> tsm_bkp_$fdate.txt
   dsmc q fi | awk '{print $2,$5}'|sed '0,/----/d' >> tsm_bkp_$fdate.txt

while read line
  do

echo $line >> tsm_bkp_$fdate.txt
     ssh -t $line dsmc q fi| awk '{print $2,$5}'|sed '0,/----/d' >> tsm_bkp_$fdate.txt
 done < ${HOME}/hosts.txt
fi

I searched for the above error in other *nix forums and tried using 'ssh -tt or -T' in the script per others suggestions. But I still get the same error.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run awk command having multiple lines

Hi, Can u see the code below. set xyz = `cat testt1.txt | awk '/-----/{\ print $1 }\ ' | tail -1` I need to execute it in c shell . What is wrong with the above command. When i write everything on a single line then it is working. Can anybody help me . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani_g
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in single command?

Dear Unix Guru, I have several directories as below /home/user/ dir1 dir2 dir3 Each directory has different size. I want to print each directory size (Solaris command du -hs .) Can you please guide me how to achieve this? Thanks Bala (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to run multiple commands from a file.

I need a command, which could run mutliple commands from a file. Let's say, I have mv fileA1 fileB1 mv fileA2 fileB2 ..... mv fileA20 fileB20 I put these commands in a file, then I need a command to run the file as a whole so that I don't need to type 20 times... Anyone tell me how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run command against multiple specific value in one file

Hi all, I am trying to create a shell script from solaris 10 server to run a command into multiple specific value in one file. The command is related to Oracle/Sun JES2005Q4 directory server. #this is the command, #from path /jes/ds/slapd-rldap1 ./ns-inactivate.pl -h mldap1 -p 389 -D... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
12 Replies

6. Ubuntu

run multiple command at the same time in one window terminal using multiplexer

Hi, I would like to ask if someone knows or accomplished this task in the terminal multiplexer in a single window with multiple splitted pane: In the script run multiple command at the same time in diff splitted pane or simulatneously. As an example: I would like to run iptraf, iotop, htop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in a single line?

Normally i would do this- cd abc ls -ltr I wish to run above command in a single line, like this- cd abc | ls -ltr But above command doesn't works, it simply runs the second command, ignoring the 1st one. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a loop for multiple files in a folder to run awk command?

Dear folks I have two data set which there names are "final.map" and "1.geno" and look like this structures: final.map: gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2044 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2048 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2187 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 17654 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to multiple hosts and then run multiple for loops under remote session

Hello, I am trying to login to multiple servers and i have to run multiple loops to gather some details..Could you please help me out. I am specifically facing issues while running for loops. I have to run multiple for loops in else condition. but the below code is giving errors in for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run simple single command on multiple Linux servers?

Hi All, How can i run a single command on multiple servers with or without giving credentials. I have a file(servers.txt) which has got list of servers and i want to run a command lsb_release -dr on all these servers and get output of those servers against each server. I tried below code... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
9 Replies
avahi.hosts(5)                                                  File Formats Manual                                                 avahi.hosts(5)

NAME
avahi.hosts - avahi-daemon static host name file SYNOPSIS
/etc/avahi/hosts DESCRIPTION
/etc/avahi/hosts is a file which may be used to define static host name to IP address mappings for multicast DNS. This is especially useful when publishing DNS-SD services on behalf of other hosts. See avahi.service(5) for more information. The file format is similar to the one of /etc/hosts: on each line an IP address and the corresponding host name. The host names should be in FQDN form, i.e. with appended .local suffix. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-daemon(8), avahi.service(5) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi.hosts(5)