Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble with simple cutting, joining Post 302966490 by Don Cragun on Friday 12th of February 2016 03:50:59 PM
Old 02-12-2016
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Homework assignments must be posted in the Homework & Coursework forum and must include a completely filled out template from the special homework and coursework rules page pointed to by the infraction notice you received in your e-mail a little while ago.

This thread is closed.

Please repost your question in the proper forum with the required template.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting out the last field

Hi all; i was asked to install an inventory tool on our Reliant Unix 5.45 server. I downloaded the file from our intratnet. It was always failing when i try to install it. After some investigation i saw that the installation script had something strange. When i "cat <script>" i see nothing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting

Is there any cut or awk function that would allow me to take the last part of a path away and save the list into a file? I wrote: find $HOME -mtime +3 > fileList cat fileList /home/102/s/jn/folder/HW /home/102/s/jn/otherfolder/B.txt /home/102/s/jn/folder4/3dA/w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem cutting

echo $line|cut -d " " -f`$plannedCount`- and this is the output $ ./read.sh ./read.sh: 12: not found JADE TRADER 143W MYPEN 40 HC M X10 28 7 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 20 GP X X10 15 2 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 40 GP X X10 28 7 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 20... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble cutting characters into a string.

I just have a couple of quick questions. I am having trouble with this cut. I am basically trying to cut the string so that i can insert the users guess at the appropriate point in the string. $letters is the character count of the $word. What it seems to do is cut the character into the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting the value from a string

Hi all I have a string variable ${WHERE_SQL1} where i want to cut the first value of a variable. Eg ${WHERE_SQL1} = 'Where a.id =.................' I the string to be 'a.id =.......' Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theeights
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any script for joining files based on simple conditions

Condition1; If NPID and IndID of both input1 and input2 are same take all the vaues relevant to them and print together as output Condition2; IDNo in output: Take the highly repeated same letter of similar NPID-IndID as *1* Second highly repeated same letter... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stateperl
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Having trouble with simple grep search

I have a text file (allWords.txt), that I would like to search through. Here is a snippet of what it looks like... a aah aahed aahing aahs aardvark aardvarks aardwolf ab abaci aback abacus abacuses abaft ...... I would like to use the grep search to search, line by line, for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackvelvet
8 Replies