Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a group of process
Top Forums Programming Create a group of process Post 302966458 by techmonk on Friday 12th of February 2016 05:09:48 AM
Old 02-12-2016
Function call
Code:
setsid()

doesn't work if the calling process has a control terminal. This is usually done in background daemon processes. After calling setsid, the process becomes the process group leader of a new process group.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unable to create a group

Hi, I'm trying to create a new group on an AIX 5.2.0.0. server but am getting the following error: root:/root $ mkgroup debt 3004-698 Error committing changes to "debt" : Value is invalid. I've change the group name to no affect. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a dummy process of a process already running?

Hi Everybody, I want to create a shell script named as say "jip" and it is runned. And i want that when i do ps + grep for the process than this jip should be shown as process. Infact there might be process with name jip which is already running. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shambhu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create group in unix

Hi, I want to create group in unix. what is the command? how to create a group and add a user into that group? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create group in phonebook...

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi, I am creating the phonebook shell script to store the name, number and address of the people. I am stuck in one point.I have done to add new user,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgal
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create new group/delete existing group

Hi, please let me know the commands to create new group/delete existing group in unix and assigning users to newly created group. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
2 Replies

7. AIX

Create new Volume Group

Good afternoon all, I'll probably confuse everyone as I'm a Windows guy dealing with AIX 6.1 and can't quite figure out how to do something. I have a P520 server running 2 LPARs and we have an IVM (not HMC).Within the IVM under Virtual Storage Management, when I check the Physical Volumes, I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spellbound
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Create file for group of data:

Hi folks, I have the following data.Any help is greatly appreciated. order File_name 7222245 7222245.pdf 7222245 7222245a.pdf 7222245 7222245b.pdf 7222245 7222245c.pdf 7222245 7222245d.pdf 7222250 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar444
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a Group with rwx permission?

I want to create a GROUP with rwx permission. Also, I want to create a GROUP with root privileges, so that next time i create a user, I just need to add it to any of the groups and privileges automatically applied. please help. Thanks, Shouvanik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shouvanik
4 Replies
SETSID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 SETSID(2)

NAME
setsid -- create session and set process group ID LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t setsid(void); DESCRIPTION
The setsid() system call creates a new session. The calling process is the session leader of the new session, is the process group leader of a new process group and has no controlling terminal. The calling process is the only process in either the session or the process group. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the setsid() system call returns the value of the process group ID of the new process group, which is the same as the process ID of the calling process. If an error occurs, setsid() returns -1 and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setsid() system call will fail if: [EPERM] The calling process is already a process group leader, or the process group ID of a process other than the calling process matches the process ID of the calling process. SEE ALSO
setpgid(2), tcgetpgrp(3), tcsetpgrp(3) STANDARDS
The setsid() system call is expected to be compliant with the ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1'') specification. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD