Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Months difference between 2 dates Post 302965919 by drl on Thursday 4th of February 2016 01:32:35 PM
Old 02-04-2016
Hi.

Using an available module in a package that deals with dates:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate a month duration between 2 dates, ddiff.

program=ddiff
program=dateutils.ddiff

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C $program

date1=03-02-2016
date2=15-11-2015

pl " Result difference in months:"
$program -i"%d-%m-%Y" "$date2" "$date1" -f "%m %d"

pl " A method for rounding up:"
read months days  < <( $program -i"%d-%m-%Y" "$date2" "$date1" -f "%m %d" )
if [ "$days" -gt 0 ]
then
  (( months++ ))
fi
pe " Rounded-up months is $months"

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.3 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.30
dateutils.ddiff ddiff 0.3.1

-----
 Result difference in months:
2 19

-----
 A method for rounding up:
 Rounded-up months is 3

See repository and man pages for details on ddiff in dateutils. Found in a number of distributions including Debian-related, OS X (brew), etc.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting files with dates 3 months ago

please help me with this????? :confused: :confused: i need to create a program that will run in unix that will delete all files in a given directory that is at least 3 months old. first the program will need to automatically know what date it is right now to determine the files it will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: godalle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two dates...

Hi All, Wish you a Happy New year... I have to find the difference between two dates, the result should be the number of days. I have seen the "datecalc" function. Its good, can I have any other alternative. Thanks in Advance Raju (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajus19
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two dates.

Hi all. My question may seems to be similar to one that already been here. But i need a little other solution. I have two dates in format dd/mm/yyyy. I need to find number of days between them. I need to do it in bash script. I am running on Solaris machine and have cutted 'date' command version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl difference between dates

Hi, Is there any way I can get the difference between two dates in terms of days? I have used this method so far, but I cant format it in terms of days. @a=&DateCalc($date1,$date2,0); The o/p that I am getting is sort of like this: +0:0:0:4:0:0:0 I just want to get 4 days as an o/p.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two dates

Hi! I have two parameters like this: YYYY-MM-DD YYYY-MM-DD My question is, there is a direct command for get the elapsed time between the 2 dates, or I have to find another way? Thx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MalaTomi
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

sqlite: calculating with dates - compare current date minus 6 months with stored record

Hi I have a table with name, date in format DD.MM.YYYY. I need to something like this (I try to explain in pseudo code) if SYSDATE (current date) minus 6 months > $expiry date print OK else print NOK with $name and $expiry date I know this is possible with Oracle. How to do this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi all, I need a help for below requirement. Difference between two dates"12-11-2009" and "03-25-2012" (mm-dd-yy format") in weeks and days and hours Please help me for this. Thanks in adv.... I am working in AIX, so dont have below command:- date --version (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 dates

Hi Friends, I have a file that has the contents like below: file1.txt 5,13/07/2013 23:25:25,14/07/2013 19:40:21 5,13/07/2013 23:25:25,14/07/2013 19:40:43 5,12/07/2013 23:50:50,13/07/2013 20:30:26 5,12/07/2013 23:20:24,13/07/2013 19:40:53 60,14/07/2013 00:00:00,14/07/2013 23:00:39... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
5 Replies

9. Fedora

Difference of dates

I have a script which is printing date in below format while writing the logs. theDate=`date +"%m%d%Y"` theTime=`date +"%H%M%S"` echo $theDate $theTime How can i find out difference current time and above format. Appreciate your help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hi There I am trying to find the difference between two dates in seconds, by taking the first 10 digits of the file name itself, which I have done as shown below: current_time=`date +%s` last_login_of_tim=`date -d @1489662376 +%s` diff_sec=$(($current_time-$last_login_of_tim)) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)