Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Email not working on Ubuntu
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Email not working on Ubuntu Post 302965238 by fugitive562 on Tuesday 26th of January 2016 04:25:26 AM
Old 01-26-2016
Email not working on Ubuntu

Hello,

I 'm getting following error in my mail log for the email i 'm sending to outside domain. Not able to figure out what is the issue. Can anyone please help me
on this.

Code:
 wrong answer on RCPT TO "550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxx@microsoft.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-, not HTML-tags. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 01-26-2016 at 05:39 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Fedora and Ubuntu not working out with GRUB

I have tried befre but nothing works out proprly. I have Ubuntu I try to Install Fedora Core 1. When Fedora Cora is finished Installing It doesnt show Ubuntu on Grub. If I re-install Ubuntu and put grub on then Fedora wont show. I also have Windows 98 but that is always on the list as DOS or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade11
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMPlayer stopped working after ubuntu updated kernel

A month or so ago Ubuntu Dapper did its auto-update thing and installed the new kernel (intrd.img-2.6.15-28-386, upgraded from intrd.img-2.6.15-27-386). I rebooted after install and immediately the xserver would not load. I quickly figured out that I could boot the old kernel from GRUB however,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forchessonly
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 LAN connection stopped working...

Well this is weird. I restarted my dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.10 from ubuntu to windows. Everything was working fine and windows is always connecting properly to my lan. After restarting back into Ubuntu, all of a sudden I can't connect to my network. It looks as if its trying to connect through... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
15 Replies

4. Linux

Problem with email mailman in Ubuntu

I have just newly installed mailman on ubuntu server. Using Apache2 web server and Exim4 mail server. Mailman is started and running fine. I can send email to and from an login account from the list server. However, when I send email to the cctest4@list.nmit.vic.edu.au , no email send to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchoe
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Send Email from command line in Ubuntu 11.10

Have problem to send email from command line according to the posts like this one: To have the ability to send email from the command line, you will need to install the mailutils and postfix packages with the following commands. apt-get install mailutils apt-get install postfix Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

terminator shell not working after upgrading ubuntu linux

Terminator is a program that allows users to set up flexible arrangements of GNOME terminals. It has stopped working for me after upgrading to ubuntu 11.10. it does not give prompt to type anything. Just stuck with /bin/bash in the title. I removed and installed again, same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Working with configure file in ubuntu

Hi, I want to add the library in my configure file. i am doing it using autoconf in ubuntu. I am new to the autoconf. Can anyone please let me know how to add the library using configure file so that it can linked to my software which I am using? Thanks in advance!!!!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Binding a /22 Subnet in Ubuntu 16 not working

I'm trying to add *secondary* subnet, a /22 in Ubuntu 16 but the IPs don't ping despite proper routing at the switch level. **How do I properly bind the secondary /22 subnet (IPv4) and have these IPs ping?** I can ping locally, but not from external. Below commands didn't work. root@server:~#... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashed
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

How to Build an Email Server on Ubuntu Linux?

hi there ! how SSH into my Ubuntu server to Build or Send an Email? is it true to use iRedMail? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fns4565
1 Replies
qmail-smtpd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    qmail-smtpd(8)

NAME
qmail-smtpd - receive mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-smtpd DESCRIPTION
qmail-smtpd receives mail messages via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) and invokes qmail-queue to deposit them into the outgoing queue. qmail-smtpd must be supplied several environment variables; see tcp-environ(5). qmail-smtpd is responsible for counting hops. It rejects any message with 100 or more Received or Delivered-To header fields. qmail-smtpd supports ESMTP, including the 8BITMIME and PIPELINING options. TRANSPARENCY
qmail-smtpd converts the SMTP newline convention into the UNIX newline convention by converting CR LF into LF. It returns a temporary error and drops the connection on bare LFs; see http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html. qmail-smtpd accepts messages that contain long lines or non-ASCII characters, even though such messages violate the SMTP protocol. CONTROL FILES
badmailfrom Unacceptable envelope sender addresses. qmail-smtpd will reject every recipient address for a message if the envelope sender address is listed in badmailfrom. A line in badmailfrom may be of the form @host, meaning every address at host. databytes Maximum number of bytes allowed in a message, or 0 for no limit. Default: 0. If a message exceeds this limit, qmail-smtpd returns a permanent error code to the client; in contrast, if the disk is full or qmail-smtpd hits a resource limit, qmail-smtpd returns a tem- porary error code. databytes counts bytes as stored on disk, not as transmitted through the network. It does not count the qmail-smtpd Received line, the qmail-queue Received line, or the envelope. If the environment variable DATABYTES is set, it overrides databytes. localiphost Replacement host name for local IP addresses. Default: me, if that is supplied. qmail-smtpd is responsible for recognizing dotted- decimal addresses for the current host. When it sees a recipient address of the form box@[d.d.d.d], where d.d.d.d is a local IP address, it replaces [d.d.d.d] with localiphost. This is done before rcpthosts. morercpthosts Extra allowed RCPT domains. If rcpthosts and morercpthosts both exist, morercpthosts is effectively appended to rcpthosts. You must run qmail-newmrh whenever morercpthosts changes. Rule of thumb for large sites: Put your 50 most commonly used domains into rcpthosts, and the rest into morercpthosts. rcpthosts Allowed RCPT domains. If rcpthosts is supplied, qmail-smtpd will reject any envelope recipient address with a domain not listed in rcpthosts. Exception: If the environment variable RELAYCLIENT is set, qmail-smtpd will ignore rcpthosts, and will append the value of RELAYCLIENT to each incoming recipient address. rcpthosts may include wildcards: heaven.af.mil .heaven.af.mil Envelope recipient addresses without @ signs are always allowed through. smtpgreeting SMTP greeting message. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-smtpd will refuse to run. The first word of smtpgreeting should be the current host's name. timeoutsmtpd Number of seconds qmail-smtpd will wait for each new buffer of data from the remote SMTP client. Default: 1200. RECIPIENT VERIFICATION
Recipient verification is enabled with the VERIFY environment variable. This can be used to specify per-recipient rejection of invalid recipient addresses (immediate verification causing a permanent 550 error response to the RCPT command), or deferred rejection at DATA time (554 response) of the whole session if any recipient addresses don't exist. To verify an address, qmail-smtpd uses a separate qmail-verify UDP server. By default this will be on the loopback address 127.0.0.1, port 11113. Enable verification like this, VERIFY=":" VERIFY="DEFER" (for immediate, deferred verification respectively). A different IP address and/or port can be specified for qmail-verify as in these exam- ples, VERIFY="192.168.1.1" VERIFY=":10101" VERIFY="DEFER,:10101" VERIFY="DEFER,192.168.1.1:10101" Recipient verification may be explicitly disabled by setting VERIFY to an empty string, VERIFY="" Addresses with domains appearing in control/rcpthosts but not in control/locals or control/virtualdomains will be considered valid, reflecting qmail's standard behaviour. Note that if the environment variable RELAYCLIENT is set, no checking is carried out. qmail-verify needs to be running to respond to recipient verification queries. If no qmail-verify response is received a temporary 451 error response is given to the remote system and the session terminated. SEE ALSO
tcp-env(1), tcp-environ(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-inject(8), qmail-newmrh(8), qmail-queue(8), qmail-remote(8), qmail-verify(8) qmail-smtpd(8)