Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grub Bootloader & CentOS
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Grub Bootloader & CentOS Post 302965230 by Aia on Monday 25th of January 2016 05:47:08 PM
Old 01-25-2016
In case you do not know yet:
You cannot upgrade from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 7.x. You'll have to perform a replacement of OS.
CentosOS 6.x has Grub legacy. CentOS 7.x has Grub2. They are not the same. You might not get away without learning how these two bootloader work so you can translate what you have in 6.x to 7.x

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box

Hi Linux gurus, My boss had asked me to setup a box consisting of this 3 OS (CentOS, Fedora, RedHat) for autopatching. So, whenever there is new patches for CentOS from the internet, this box will grab it, implement it, if tested ok and approved, the patches will then be push to Production... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: raybakh
23 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

virtualization in RHEL 5.3 & Centos 5.3

Hi I would like to know how to do virtualization in Rhel 5.3 and Cent os 5.3, As i am new this Virtualization need guidence how to install and configure guest os in Rhel and Cent Os can some one guide me step by step Regards Solaris8in (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
1 Replies

4. Linux

Bootloader problem Grub.

Hello, I have some questions about my Mandriva Linux. My father died last year and so I got automatically forced to use Linux (master computer). I have become a little bit known with it, had to reset the root password via command lines etc. But I have some problems I can't solve on my own. In... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blabla9002
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootloader problem Grub.

Bootloader problem Grub. Hello, I have some questions about my Mandriva Linux. My father died last year and so I got automatically forced to use Linux (master computer). I have become a little bit known with it, had to reset the root password via command lines etc. But I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blabla9002
11 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Dual boot XP and Centos 5.x using the NTLDR bootloader

How can one dual boot Windows XP sp2 and Centos 5.x using the NTLDR bootloader? I wanted to install CentOS onto a spare partition on a machine with Windows XP already installed, leaving the MBR as it was and using the NTLDR bootloader. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to Upgrade Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image on Vmware workstation

Dear Linux Experts, On my windows 7 desktop with the help of Vmware workstation (Version 7.1), created virtual machine and installed Centos 5.7 successfully using ISO image. Query : Is this possible to upgrade the Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image to Centos version 5.8?.. if yes kindly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthcn
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How do I re-install my bootloader?

I accidently altered my partition table. Somehow I wiped it out completely and changed the disk label. Before I rebooted I managed to rebuild it the way it originally was using the original structure and label however I need to re-install a new bootloader for the new MBR. I have Ubuntu 14.04TLS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: project722
1 Replies

10. Linux

Centos 7.2 Convert single LVM to RAID Mirror Reinstall BootLoader

Hello, I am trying to convert a single-drive Centos 7.2 installation with LVM into a two-disk mdadm mirror with mrrored LVM. I was able to follow the excellent instructions at: http://www.dgoradia.com/creating-a-raid1-mirrored-on-an-existing-centos-on-lvm/and did create a two-disk mirror... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies
DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)						     Debhelper						       DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)

NAME
dh_systemd_start - start/stop/restart systemd unit files SYNOPSIS
dh_systemd_start [debhelperoptions] [--restart-after-upgrade] [--no-stop-on-upgrade] [unitfile...] DESCRIPTION
dh_systemd_start is a debhelper program that is responsible for starting/stopping or restarting systemd unit files in case no corresponding sysv init script is available. As with dh_installinit, the unit file is stopped before upgrades and started afterwards (unless --restart-after-upgrade is specified, in which case it will only be restarted after the upgrade). This logic is not used when there is a corresponding SysV init script because invoke-rc.d performs the stop/start/restart in that case. OPTIONS
--restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the unit file until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is the default behaviour in compat 10. In earlier compat levels the default was to stop the unit file in the prerm, and start it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. --no-restart-after-upgrade Undo a previous --restart-after-upgrade (or the default of compat 10). If no other options are given, this will cause the service to be stopped in the prerm script and started again in the postinst script. -r, --no-stop-on-upgrade, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop service on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the unit file after upgrades and after initial installation (the latter is only relevant for services without a corresponding init script). NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command (with the same arguments). Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. Note that dh_systemd_start should be run after dh_installinit so that it can detect corresponding SysV init scripts. The default sequence in dh does the right thing, this note is only relevant when you are calling dh_systemd_start manually. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)