Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape? Post 302965070 by vbe on Saturday 23rd of January 2016 04:51:34 AM
Old 01-23-2016
It looks more like a corrupt support (media) rather than a bad file... Have you tried cleaning the heads, check the hmmm what is it DAT? or real tape or??? DAT can go faulty if not properly rewound before loading...
I had a case where a sysadmin was desperate and asked me to help him, when I ejected the DAT to look at its state Smilie I noticed the tape was broken Smilie ...
Poor guy was trying for hours...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to recover a single file from tape

Hi I have taken a backup using /usr/sbin/ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt/0n I want to recover one file from it but finding it hard nut to crack. Can you please give me a simple way of recovering it? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover deleted file in unix

hi after using rm command how to recover the deleted file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a corrupt tar file

Hey there I am just looking for a way to find a corrupt tar file. I want to write a script to help sift through the 1000's of tar files we go through daily and move any corrupt ones to a different directory structure. Is there an easy way to do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: car2nst2006
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipped tar file is corrupt

Hello, I am currently dumping 30-40 reports on a Unix folder located here /home/apps/reports/prode/excel I use K-shell to do this task. In that, I use the gzip command to compress these files. I want to be able to use a tar command to first load the entire directory into one file then gzip that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to recover the truncate file in unix

how to recover the file in unix. Thanks in advance.:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate tar file on tape

I've got a KSH/AIX question that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I've got a tape archive program that "tar's" data to a tape. After creating the archive, I'd like to somehow verify that the tape is actually good. So, what I'd like to do as a simple "sanity" check that I can read the tape... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dernsdorff
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)