Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass the password to su in shell script Post 302964866 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 20th of January 2016 09:15:42 AM
Old 01-20-2016
The sudo tool is designed to give you the choice. It is probably the best way.

Incidentally, you should not really try to force the password in like this. If you have a process to run that is automated, i.e. you don't fire it off as a real person on the command line, then you should really run it as a non-personal account. You can then give that account the sudo privilege to not require a password.

The problem is that if you script this, then anyone able to read your script will know the account password. Additionally, good practice would have you changing the passwords regularly and that might require editing every script each time.

How far have you got with this now?

Kind regards,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Oracle Username password SID from single file and pass it to shell

Dear All I am trying to write one shell which will be running through Cron which contain one SQL query. But I want to draw/fetch the Username password and Instance name (required to loging to the database) from one single file to run that SQL query . Also this file contain details of multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass root password through script

I have several clients (over 120) connected to my server. I want to push some patch to all the client using a script which copies the file from the server to a specific path on the client and then installs it. But for installation of the patch, it needs to be done thorough root login on client.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahdeo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass decrypted password to script

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script (ksh) to connect to oracle db via sqlplus. As I do not want the password to be in plain text, I've tried to use java to encrypt and decrypt it but I am not sure how can I pass the decrypted password to the script. Pls advise. Below is what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to auto pass password in shell script !

Hi all, I have a simple script to check the CPU, Swap Memory and Hard Disk. But I can auto assign password in the script to automatic run it in crontab. Everytime when I run this script, it require to insert password like the message below : How can I solve this problem ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cafecoc85
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
PASSWD(5)							   File formats 							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password file DESCRIPTION
Passwd is a text file, that contains a list of the system's accounts, giving for each account some useful information like user ID, group ID, home directory, shell, etc. Often, it also contains the encrypted passwords for each account. It should have general read permission (many utilities, like ls(1) use it to map user IDs to user names), but write access only for the superuser. In the good old days there was no great problem with this general read permission. Everybody could read the encrypted passwords, but the hardware was too slow to crack a well-chosen password, and moreover, the basic assumption used to be that of a friendly user-community. These days many people run some version of the shadow password suite, where /etc/passwd has *'s instead of encrypted passwords, and the encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow which is readable by the superuser only. Regardless of whether shadow passwords are used, many sysadmins use a star in the encrypted password field to make sure that this user can not authenticate him- or herself using a password. (But see the Notes below.) If you create a new login, first put a star in the password field, then use passwd(1) to set it. There is one entry per line, and each line has the format: account:password:UID:GID:GECOS:directory:shell The field descriptions are: account the name of the user on the system. It should not contain capital letters. password the encrypted user password or a star. UID the numerical user ID. GID the numerical primary group ID for this user. GECOS This field is optional and only used for informational purposes. Usually, it contains the full user name. GECOS means General Electric Comprehensive Operating System, which has been renamed to GCOS when GE's large systems division was sold to Honeywell. Dennis Ritchie has reported: "Sometimes we sent printer output or batch jobs to the GCOS machine. The gcos field in the password file was a place to stash the information for the $IDENTcard. Not elegant." directory the user's $HOME directory. shell the program to run at login (if empty, use /bin/sh). If set to a non-existing executable, the user will be unable to login through login(1). NOTE
If you want to create user groups, their GIDs must be equal and there must be an entry in /etc/group, or no group will exist. If the encrypted password is set to a star, the user will be unable to login using login(1), but may still login using rlogin(1), run existing processes and initiate new ones through rsh(1), cron(1), at(1), or mail filters, etc. Trying to lock an account by simply chang- ing the shell field yields the same result and additionally allows the use of su(1). FILES
/etc/passwd SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login(1), su(1), group(5), shadow(5) 1998-01-05 PASSWD(5)