Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep Files with and without match Post 302964592 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 16th of January 2016 07:16:50 AM
Old 01-16-2016
Code:
grep -l 'Hello' |
xargs grep -L 'Hello World'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep, count and match two files

I am writing the below script to do a grep and count number of occurances between two tab delimited files. I am trying to achieve.. 1) Extract column 2 and column 3 from the S.txt file. Put it in a temp pattern file 2) Grep and count column 2 in D.txt file 3) Compare the counts between... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
19 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use pattern match with grep

hi, i'm having problem like this. i wish to grep some keyword from certain files in one directory. let's say i have a lot of files in my directory with the name of file.1 file.2 file.3 ...... file.500 i only wish to grep the keyword from file.20, file.21, file.23 .... file.50 i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rei
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to grep for a title match and then make some queries after the match

Here is the sample of my file address.txt Address 1 1234 Drive way New Orleans, LA Zipcode :- 12345 Address 2 4567 Spring way Chicago, IL Zipcode :- 67890 I would like to grep for an Address title (Ex :- Address 2) , then get its zipcode and echo both in a single line. Ex :- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches

I want to search a bunch of files and list only those containing a minimum number of pattern matches. So if I want to identify files containing 3 (or more) instances of the pattern "said:" and I have file1 that contains the lines: He said: She said: and file2 that contains the lines: He... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match using grep between two files

Hello Everyone , I have two files. I want to pick line from file-1 and match with the complete data in file-2 , if there is a match print all the match lines in file 3. Below is the file cat test1.txt vikas vikasjain j ain testt douknow hello@vik@ # 33 ||@@ vcpzxcmvhvdsh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailvkjain
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep multiple files and display first match

I have a need to grep a large number of files, but only display the first result from each file. I have tried to use grep, but am not limited to it. I can use perl and awk as well. Please help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbiggied
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New files based off match or no match

Trying to match $2 in original_targets with $2 of new_targets . If the two numbers match exactly then a match.txt file is outputted using the information in the new_targets in the beginning 4 fields $1, $2, $3, $4 and value of $4 in the original_targets . If there is "No Match" then a no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on grep for particular match

Hi, Need help on grep for a particular match. cat testfile xx.xx.xx.xx:/share4 /nfsshare15 nfs defaults yes no xx.xx.xx.xx:/share5 /nfsshare15/sharedir1 nfs defaults 0 0 xx.xx.xx.xx:/share6 /nfsshare15/sharedir2 nfs defaults 0 0 Scenario... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match field between two files and use conditions on match

I am trying to look for $2 of file1 (skipping the header) in $2 of file2 (skipping the header) and if they match and the value in $10 is > 30 and $11 is > 49, then print the line from file1 to a output file. If no match is foung the line is not printed. Both the input and output are tab-delimited.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Data match 2 files based on first 2 columns matching only and join if match

Hi, i have 2 files , the data i need to match is in masterfile and i need to pull out column 3 from master if column 1 and 2 match and output entire row to new file I have tried with join and awk and i keep getting blank outputs or same file is there an easier way than what i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axis88
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)