Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming directories stops resumption of write process Post 302964451 by sea on Thursday 14th of January 2016 06:13:33 PM
Old 01-14-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysmart
Now, the problem is. after this upgrade is done, the process in cron does not resuming writing to the /var/tmp/EXAMPLEA directory even though everything is set up as it was before, with the write permissions and all.
That means you have currently running something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysmart
can someone point in the direction of what the problem could be?
Not without knowing where,what and how it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
I guess it depends on whether the cron job has the files open when the update runs. If so, it will (internally) be writing to specific inode numbers rather than specific files. In stage 3 when you 'copy' the files back to the original directory you create new inodes for those files. I'd be inclined to try renaming the files using 'mv' in stage 3 rather than 'cp'
One could make sure none of those files are open at the time the script is working with them.
Like, creating a lock file or something.

Otherwise... Need code!

Last edited by sea; 01-14-2016 at 07:22 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming: Change files' extensions in many sub-directories

Hi all - I'm trying to rename a large number of files all at once and need some help figuring out the command line syntax to do it. I've already done quite a bit of research with the rename and mv commands, but so far haven't found a solution that seems to work for me. So: The files exist... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave920
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories

So I am not sure if this should go in the shell forum or in the beginners. It is my first time posting on these forums. I have a directory, main_dir lets say, with multiple sub directories (one_dir through onehundred_dir for example) and in each sub directory there is a test.txt. How would one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming directories with shell script

Hi All after looking around the website and various other resources I become stuck. I'm trying to rename directories from Firstname Initial Lastname to lastname,_firstname_initial so far ive got for f in {./} do rename -n 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * rename -n 's/\ /_/g' * ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlequin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming bulk directories and subfiles

Hi, I have a directory with 100 subdirectories and each of these subdirectories has 1 file. Now I have to rename all these. The structure is "files directory has 100 SRR191639-SRR191718 subfolders and in each there is a file with the same name a subdirectory followed by .sra extension... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files in multiple directories

Hi I have the following file structure and I want to rename all the abc.jar files to abc_backup.jar rock@server:~/rakesh> ls -R .: test1 test2 test3 ./test1: abc.jar ./test2: abc.jar ./test3: abc.jar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail when a process stops

I have a process that crashes quite often. I'm unable to fix it since I'm not the developer and it is beyond my control to do so. However restarting the process will fix the issue which is fine. I would like to receive a notification via email that the process has failed so I can login and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

IBM eServer X 335 stops boot process at Server splash screen

Hi there. I used to use linux a lot a number of years ago but it has been quite a while so ?I really consider myself a beginner again. I have an old IBM eServer X Series 335 machine and I want to get it back up and running for a number of reasons. I knew that one of the SCSI drives was bad and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filch2
2 Replies
DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)						     Debhelper						       DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)

NAME
dh_systemd_start - start/stop/restart systemd unit files SYNOPSIS
dh_systemd_start [debhelperoptions] [--restart-after-upgrade] [--no-stop-on-upgrade] [unitfile...] DESCRIPTION
dh_systemd_start is a debhelper program that is responsible for starting/stopping or restarting systemd unit files in case no corresponding sysv init script is available. As with dh_installinit, the unit file is stopped before upgrades and started afterwards (unless --restart-after-upgrade is specified, in which case it will only be restarted after the upgrade). This logic is not used when there is a corresponding SysV init script because invoke-rc.d performs the stop/start/restart in that case. OPTIONS
--restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the unit file until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is the default behaviour in compat 10. In earlier compat levels the default was to stop the unit file in the prerm, and start it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. --no-restart-after-upgrade Undo a previous --restart-after-upgrade (or the default of compat 10). If no other options are given, this will cause the service to be stopped in the prerm script and started again in the postinst script. -r, --no-stop-on-upgrade, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop service on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the unit file after upgrades and after initial installation (the latter is only relevant for services without a corresponding init script). NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command (with the same arguments). Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. Note that dh_systemd_start should be run after dh_installinit so that it can detect corresponding SysV init scripts. The default sequence in dh does the right thing, this note is only relevant when you are calling dh_systemd_start manually. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)