Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing all characters up to initial '{' Post 302964202 by hcclnoodles on Tuesday 12th of January 2016 06:55:20 AM
Old 01-12-2016
ah, the square brackets is where I went wrong , thanks RudiC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing characters like ^M

I have few files in unix which are in dos format. While I am copying these files, ^M, ^@, etc characters are being generated. I tried dos2unix command in Linux and it doesn't work. I tried sed to remove these characters but they won't go. I came to about this 'tr' command and tried to use it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
16 Replies

2. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing characters

Hi all, Any help on how to do the following? :eek: I have an infile as follows: _thisishowyouwritehelloworld _thisisalsohowyouwritehelloworld2 I want to delete the characters from "_" to "how" and be left with: youwritehelloworld youwritehelloworld2 I am able to do delete from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters

Dear Friends, I want to remove text between two patters. Problem is, it has random special characters like \ / | * ` ~ ! $ etc. These random special characters has no fixed length. But these special characters are appearing between a fixed pattern e.g. DM&^%#|#!\/?CT Expected output... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing characters

I have been given a shell script that I need to amend. To do the following extract the filename from the flag file by removing the .flag extension. # Local variables # Find if the flag files exists MASK=coda_mil2*.flag # Are there any files? bookmark="40" fileFound=0 ls -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymay
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing x'0A' characters.

I am trying to remove trailing carriage return (x'0a') from a source program. What is a good way to do this for the whole file? TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters and some output

Hi guys, So I am using an awk command to return a specific column in a file. I also need to remove some extra characters. What I have is :: (http-/0.0.0.0:8091-9)|23:00:41 And what I want is : http-/0.0.0.0:8091-9 I tried using the td command but it is only removing the ( ,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies
showfont(1X)															      showfont(1X)

NAME
showfont - font dumper for X font server SYNOPSIS
showfont [-options...] -fn pattern OPTIONS
The X font server to contact. The font to display. The bit order of the font should be requested as LSBFirst (least significant bit first). The bit order of the font should be requested as MSBFirst (most significant bit first). The byte order of the font should be requested as LSBFirst (least significant byte first). The byte order of the font should be requested as MSBFirst (most significant byte first). Only the character extents should be displayed, but not the bitmaps. The start of the range of the characters to display (char is a number). The end of the range of the characters to display (char is a number). The scanline unit of the font (8, 16, 32, or 64). The scanpad unit of the font (8, 16, 32, or 64). The bitmap padding unit of the font (0, 1, or 2, where 0 is ImageRectMin, 1 is ImageRect- MaxWidth and 2 is ImageRectMax). Do not show the font properties. DESCRIPTION
The showfont command displays data about a font that matches the given pattern. The information shown includes font information, font prop- erties, character metrics, and character bitmaps. The wildcard character "*" can be used to match any sequence of characters (including none) in the font name, and "?" can be used to match any single character. The "*" and "?" characters must be quoted to prevent them from being expanded by the shell. If no pattern is given, "*" is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
the default X font server to contact. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1991, Network Computing Devices, Inc. See X(1X) for a full statement of rights and permissions. SEE ALSO
xfs(1X), fslsfonts(1X), xlsfonts(1X) AUTHOR
Dave Lemke, Network Computing Devices, Inc. showfont(1X)