Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Increasing size of root partition Post 302964090 by jegaraman on Sunday 10th of January 2016 02:33:02 AM
Old 01-10-2016
Increasing size of root partition

Dear All ,

We need to increase the size of the root partition in a RHEL server.

The model is Product Name: SUN FIRE X4170 SERVER.

Code:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      119G   47G   67G  41% /
/dev/sda1              99M   15M   80M  16% /boot
tmpfs                  12G   12K   12G   1% /dev/shm
none                   12G  104K   12G   1% /var/lib/xenstored

Pl let me know as it is a physical server , do we need to add more disks for increasing size or any other ways.

Thanks and rgds
Rj

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing a directory size

Hello all Can someone tell me I am running a script and the outputs directory is too small to contain the newly created file as a result of this script. How can I increase the directory size? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonest
9 Replies

2. HP-UX

Help on increasing fs size

Hi Experts, I am not sure whether my question should be in this thread or some other one. I am using HP Tru64 system. Currently one of my filesystem /others is almost full. I need to know the exact commands to increase this filesystem. Please show me how to check for free partitions and add... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Increasing size of Root Partition

Dear all, How can we increase the space for the root partition, ensuring that there is no loss of data in Solaris 9. How can the growfs command be utilized in this case. Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best ways of increasing space on a partition

Hi, On one of our solaris servers, the root partition has filled up,(it was poorly sized in the first place), Does anyone have any advice about the best way to add space to a partition. I'm sure I've read how to do this somewhere before but just can't remember...:( A colleague has suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenny123m
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing the Size of the Samba Partition

Hi, Is there any command to increase the size of the samba partition when the samba share is online?? Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

6. Solaris

how to increase size of the root partition

Hi we have a sunfire v880 server . we have a problem with root partion it showing 90% full. so anyone can help me how to increase the size of that partion. NOTE: It is not in veritas & SVM control. Regards prakash (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pshelke
6 Replies

7. Solaris

how to expand root partition size?

Dear All For installing an application that will seat under /opt , I need to increase my root partition size (/c0t0d0s0) . Can you please let me know how can I increase this partition size? Thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
10 Replies

8. Solaris

increasing interlace size

Hi All, I have got a RAID 5 SVM in my Solaris Box. Recently we had performance issues with it. So SUN has told us to increase the interlace size to 128k. how can we do it so that we have to recreate the RAID 5. ALso guide what are all the pre cautions that we need to take before doing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies

9. Solaris

increasing root / partition

Dear all, I have a root partition which is 20 G in size. I have var and /tmp as seperate file systems. But this 20 G of root is not sufficeint. I want to increase the size of the / partition. Is there any way to increase with out down time. my df -k output is Filesystem ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Increasing Root File Partition

Dear all , We have a root partition ( / ) in linux which has a very less space . And we need to increase the size of the root partition . There are no space in other file systems , so that i can take it from there and increase it. Just wanted to know if we get some SAN space , can we... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
disktab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							disktab(4)

NAME
disktab - Disk description file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/disklabel.h> DESCRIPTION
The disktab database describes disk geometries and disk partition characteristics. It is used to initialize the disk label on the disk. The format is patterned after the termcap terminal database. Entries in a disktab file consist of a number of : (colon) separated fields. The first entry for each disk gives the names which are known for the disk, separated by | (vertical bar) characters. The last name given should be a long name fully identifying the disk. The following list indicates the normal values stored for each disk entry: Type Description str Type of disk (for example, removable, win- chester) str Type of controller (for example, SMD, ESDI, floppy) num Number of sectors per track num Number of tracks per cylinder num Total number of cylinders on the disk num Number of sectors per cylinder, nc*nt default num Number of sectors per unit, sc*nc default num Sector size in bytes, DEV_BSIZE default bool Controller supports bad144-style bad sector forwarding num Rotation speed, rpm, default 3600 num Sector skew per track, default 0 num Sector skew per cylinder, default 0 num Headswitch time, usec, default 0 num One-cylinder seek time, usec, default 0 num Sector interleave (n:1), default 1 num Drive-type-dependent parameters num Boot block size, default BBSIZE num Superblock size, default SBSIZE num Block size for partition `a' (bytes) num Block size for partition `d' (bytes) num Block size for partition `e' (bytes) num Block size for partition `f' (bytes) num Block size for partition `g' (bytes) num Block size for partition `h' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `a' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `d' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `e' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `f' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `g' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `h' (bytes) num Offset of partition `a' in sectors num Offset of partition `b' in sectors num Offset of partition `c' in sectors num Offset of partition `d' in sectors num Offset of partition `e' in sectors num Offset of partition `f' in sectors num Offset of partition `g' in sectors num Offset of partition `h' in sectors num Size of partition `a' in sectors num Size of partition `b' in sectors num Size of partition `c' in sectors num Size of partition `d' in sectors num Size of partition `e' in sectors num Size of partition `f' in sectors num Size of partition `g' in sectors num Size of partition `h' in sectors str Partition type of partition `a' (4.2BSD file system, swap, etc.) str Partition type of partition `b' str Partition type of partition `c' str Parti- tion type of partition `d' str Partition type of partition `e' str Partition type of partition `f' str Partition type of partition `g' str Partition type of partition `h' EXAMPLES
The following is an example disktab entry: rz25|RZ25|DEC RZ25 Winchester: :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:ns#62:nt#9:nc#1492: :oa#0:pa#131072:ba#8192:fa#1024: :ob#131072:pb#262144:bb#8192:fb#1024: :oc#0:pc#832527:bc#8192:fc#1024: :od#393216:pd#146437:bd#8192:fd#1024: :oe#539656:pe#146437:be#8192:fe#1024: :of#686096:pf#146437:bf#8192:ff#1024: :og#393216:pg#439311:bg#8192:fg#1024: :oh#0:ph#0:bh#8192:fh#1024: FILES
/etc/disktab RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: getdiskbyname(3) Files: disklabel(4) Commands: disklabel(8), newfs(8) delim off disktab(4)