Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unable to send mail with 'mail' command Post 302963814 by tcnm on Wednesday 6th of January 2016 07:19:41 PM
Old 01-06-2016
Unable to send mail with 'mail' command

I am unable to cause the 'mail' command to send mail from my linux ubuntu 15.10 computer. File 'mail.log' typically reports Connection timed out.

I issue the command:
Code:
mail -s "my subject" recipient@domain.com <  filename

where filename is a file containing my message.

Specifically, the log reports:

Code:
  Jan 5 12:29:53 pegasus postfix/smtp[9006]: connect to mx01.gmx.com[74.208.5.27]:25: Connection timed out Jan 5 12:30:23 pegasus postfix/smtp[9006]: connect to mx00.gmx.com[74.208.5.4]:25: Connection timed out

I suspect that my ISP (verizon) is blocking port 25 and thus causing the problem: however, I have been unsuccessful in trying to change the smtp port to either 465 (as Verizon recommends) or 587 (as others recommend).

My main.cf file is as follows:

Code:
 # See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
myhostname = pegasus
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = pegasus, localhost.localdomain, localhost, chessratings.org
# mydestination = pegasus,localhost.localdomain,localhost
#relayhost = [smtp.verizon.net]:465
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 192.168.1.1/24

mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = all

# tmann25@verizon.net timothy
myorigin = /etc/mailname

Last edited by tcnm; 01-07-2016 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: mail, postfix, smtp, port25, ubuntu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

unable to send mail

hi, I have tried this code to send mail.Its not giving me error but I am not receiving mail also. #!/bin/ksh echo "The first mail" >msg cnt=`cat /dir1/msg | wc -l` if then mail -s "Hello" abc.xyz@domain.com < msg fi I have also tried with the command mailx -s "hello"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to send a mail

Hi, I have been trying to send a mail from a remote site using this script To send the mail: #!/bin/ksh MAILTO="abc@xyz.com" BACKUPDIR="/wls_domains/wli81_1/RHTEAM/OUTPUTBACKUP/" #BACKUPDIR="../OUTPUTBACKUP/" while ; do print $1 uuencode $1 $1 | mail $MAILTO ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monicaminj2000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to send e-mail using mailx command

Hi All, Can you please help me in solving this. I am facing some problem sending mails. If I use like this, I am able to send mail the mail echo "This is an automated e-mail; please do not reply." | mailx -s "Good Morning ." 'abc@xys.com' But if I use like this, then I am unable to send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to send mail

Hey guys i got this error my logs - I ping 127.0.0.1 and it says that its alive - I checked sendmail and it is running - I tried to send a test email but nothing happens it seems that it hangs - What is the possible cause of this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to send mail

hi all i got two server, mercury and procyon mercury can send email but procyon cannot below is their syslog mercury: Jul 6 13:17:17 mercury sendmail: n665HGXg006886: to =<leecw@domain.com>, ctladdr=<ora10g@mercury.domain.com> (4001/101), d elay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Command line mail taking too long to send; unable to qualify my own domain name

Hello, I'm having a problem with my mail. When I send mail, it takes a long time for the send to complete. In the below, datestamp is just a simple script to put in a no-white-space date/time stamp. $ datestamp ; mail woodnt; datestamp 02-05-10@193844 Subject: test timer Cc: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to send mail

Hi friends I am trying to send mail through a unix server. I am using following command mailx -s "THIS IS TEST" jhon@gmail.com Whenever i am typing the above command it is going to next line when i press @ on unix server prompt. so it is taking this command as following mailx -s "THIS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
GENERIC(5)							File Formats Manual							GENERIC(5)

NAME
generic - Postfix generic table format SYNOPSIS
postmap /etc/postfix/generic postmap -q "string" /etc/postfix/generic postmap -q - /etc/postfix/generic <inputfile DESCRIPTION
The optional generic(5) table specifies an address mapping that applies when mail is delivered. This is the opposite of canonical(5) map- ping, which applies when mail is received. Typically, one would use the generic(5) table on a system that does not have a valid Internet domain name and that uses something like localdomain.local instead. The generic(5) table is then used by the smtp(8) client to transform local mail addresses into valid Internet mail addresses when mail has to be sent across the Internet. See the EXAMPLE section at the end of this document. The generic(5) mapping affects both message header addresses (i.e. addresses that appear inside messages) and message envelope addresses (for example, the addresses that are used in SMTP protocol commands). Normally, the generic(5) table is specified as a text file that serves as input to the postmap(1) command. The result, an indexed file in dbm or db format, is used for fast searching by the mail system. Execute the command "postmap /etc/postfix/generic" to rebuild an indexed file after changing the corresponding text file. When the table is provided via other means such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, the same lookups are done as for ordinary indexed files. Alternatively, the table can be provided as a regular-expression map where patterns are given as regular expressions, or lookups can be directed to TCP-based server. In those case, the lookups are done in a slightly different way as described below under "REGULAR EXPRESSION TABLES" or "TCP-BASED TABLES". CASE FOLDING
The search string is folded to lowercase before database lookup. As of Postfix 2.3, the search string is not case folded with database types such as regexp: or pcre: whose lookup fields can match both upper and lower case. TABLE FORMAT
The input format for the postmap(1) command is as follows: pattern result When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by the corresponding result. blank lines and comments Empty lines and whitespace-only lines are ignored, as are lines whose first non-whitespace character is a `#'. multi-line text A logical line starts with non-whitespace text. A line that starts with whitespace continues a logical line. TABLE SEARCH ORDER
With lookups from indexed files such as DB or DBM, or from networked tables such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, patterns are tried in the order as listed below: user@domain address Replace user@domain by address. This form has the highest precedence. user address Replace user@site by address when site is equal to $myorigin, when site is listed in $mydestination, or when it is listed in $inet_interfaces or $proxy_interfaces. @domain address Replace other addresses in domain by address. This form has the lowest precedence. RESULT ADDRESS REWRITING
The lookup result is subject to address rewriting: o When the result has the form @otherdomain, the result becomes the same user in otherdomain. o When "append_at_myorigin=yes", append "@$myorigin" to addresses without "@domain". o When "append_dot_mydomain=yes", append ".$mydomain" to addresses without ".domain". ADDRESS EXTENSION
When a mail address localpart contains the optional recipient delimiter (e.g., user+foo@domain), the lookup order becomes: user+foo@domain, user@domain, user+foo, user, and @domain. The propagate_unmatched_extensions parameter controls whether an unmatched address extension (+foo) is propagated to the result of table lookup. REGULAR EXPRESSION TABLES
This section describes how the table lookups change when the table is given in the form of regular expressions. For a description of regu- lar expression lookup table syntax, see regexp_table(5) or pcre_table(5). Each pattern is a regular expression that is applied to the entire address being looked up. Thus, user@domain mail addresses are not broken up into their user and @domain constituent parts, nor is user+foo broken up into user and foo. Patterns are applied in the order as specified in the table, until a pattern is found that matches the search string. Results are the same as with indexed file lookups, with the additional feature that parenthesized substrings from the pattern can be inter- polated as $1, $2 and so on. TCP-BASED TABLES This section describes how the table lookups change when lookups are directed to a TCP-based server. For a description of the TCP client/server lookup protocol, see tcp_table(5). This feature is not available up to and including Postfix version 2.4. Each lookup operation uses the entire address once. Thus, user@domain mail addresses are not broken up into their user and @domain con- stituent parts, nor is user+foo broken up into user and foo. Results are the same as with indexed file lookups. EXAMPLE
The following shows a generic mapping with an indexed file. When mail is sent to a remote host via SMTP, this replaces his@localdo- main.local by his ISP mail address, replaces her@localdomain.local by her ISP mail address, and replaces other local addresses by his ISP account, with an address extension of +local (this example assumes that the ISP supports "+" style address extensions). /etc/postfix/main.cf: smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic /etc/postfix/generic: his@localdomain.local hisaccount@hisisp.example her@localdomain.local heraccount@herisp.example @localdomain.local hisaccount+local@hisisp.example Execute the command "postmap /etc/postfix/generic" whenever the table is changed. Instead of hash, some systems use dbm database files. To find out what tables your system supports use the command "postconf -m". BUGS
The table format does not understand quoting conventions. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant. The text below provides only a parameter summary. See postconf(5) for more details including examples. smtp_generic_maps Address mapping lookup table for envelope and header sender and recipient addresses while delivering mail via SMTP. propagate_unmatched_extensions A list of address rewriting or forwarding mechanisms that propagate an address extension from the original address to the result. Specify zero or more of canonical, virtual, alias, forward, include, or generic. Other parameters of interest: inet_interfaces The network interface addresses that this system receives mail on. You need to stop and start Postfix when this parameter changes. proxy_interfaces Other interfaces that this machine receives mail on by way of a proxy agent or network address translator. mydestination List of domains that this mail system considers local. myorigin The domain that is appended to locally-posted mail. owner_request_special Give special treatment to owner-xxx and xxx-request addresses. SEE ALSO
postmap(1), Postfix lookup table manager postconf(5), configuration parameters smtp(8), Postfix SMTP client README FILES
Use "postconf readme_directory" or "postconf html_directory" to locate this information. ADDRESS_REWRITING_README, address rewriting guide DATABASE_README, Postfix lookup table overview STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README, configuration examples LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. HISTORY
A genericstable feature appears in the Sendmail MTA. This feature is available in Postfix 2.2 and later. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA GENERIC(5)