Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't understand script output Post 302963772 by bayouprophet on Tuesday 5th of January 2016 05:37:49 PM
Old 01-05-2016
I have correct the portion identifying the script as ksh. But when should I include the PARVALUE variable within the first script. Script is running but always going to step portion of the script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand this output

I am hitting this command: dvlna021-(/cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/Software/active/Soft/conf)->ls -lrt gds_userenv_* This is the output lrwxrwxrwx 1 aimse was 65 Jul 31 12:56 gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh -> /cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/conf/gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand grep output

In my directory I have two files and one subdirectory. When I run ls -l |grep -v ^d I get the following output: total 8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 254 Oct 3 16:00 file1.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 7167 Oct 11 15:46 file2.txt Can you explain what is total 8 if the number of files is 2 and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand a script

Hello world! Can someone please explain me how this code works? I'ts supposed to find words in a dictionary and show the anagrams of the words. { part = word2key($1) data = $1 } function word2key(word, a, i, x, result) { x = split(word, a, "") asort(a) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jose2802
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help me understand this script

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN {i=1;file="modified.txt"} { if ($0 !~ /^DS:/) {print $0 >> file} else { if ($0 ~ /^DS:/) {print "DS: ",i >> file;if (i==8) {i=1} else {i++}}; } } END {gzip file} Can someone explain to me how this above script works, I got it from a friend but not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
3 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)