Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Whats the most in-demand programming language UNIX Post 302963533 by jgt on Friday 1st of January 2016 03:36:13 PM
Old 01-01-2016
What you should learn depends a lot on where your interests lie.
There are two kinds of languages, procedural and non procedural.
Procedural languages include Basic, Fortran, Cobol, C, C++, Pascal, PHP, Bash, Java. All of these languages are the same, only different. They all execute statements in the order encountered, and really only differ in punctuation and vocabulary. If you know one, you should at least be able to read and understand the others.
Non procedural languages include the various dialects of SQL, RPG, and maybe some industrial ladder logic languages.
If you learn to use the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) environment, along with Javascript, and one compiled language that allows you to use shared memory and create re-entrant code, you should have a good foundation.
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the programming language matters?

I see you guys encouraged people studied and used C while they were working on UNIX. Does C++ or JAVA matter? And in the past threads, Neo, PxT, and other members recommanded lots good books. I think those people who asked for the references, such as Dominic, had experiences on sys admin or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
8 Replies

2. Programming

c programming language

Can someone enligten me on what below program does? I understand getchar and putchar.. but what is this program suppose to do? I try to put printf on it, but it shows nothing.. can someone explain to me what this program is suppose to do? It is reading something and assigning to c? so, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is PERL a programming language?

I need a small and simple clarification... Can someone tell me whether PERL is a programming language or not. Also, can shell scripts also considered as programming language or not. Also, please tell me the exact difference between programming language and scripting. Please help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

5. Programming

How is a new Web Development language written ?

I'm wondering how programmers develop new Web Development languages because I want to learn how everything begins from the start. Let's say I'm planning to write a new language for the Web. How do I do this? Is there anyone who knows about the way Web Development languages first appear ? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What area in Linux/UNIX is most in demand?

What area in linux makes the most money. What area in linux is most in demand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
1 Replies
CREATE 
LANGUAGE(7) SQL Commands CREATE LANGUAGE(7) NAME
CREATE LANGUAGE - define a new procedural language SYNOPSIS
CREATE [ TRUSTED ] [ PROCEDURAL ] LANGUAGE langname HANDLER call_handler [ VALIDATOR valfunction ] DESCRIPTION
Using CREATE LANGUAGE, a PostgreSQL user can register a new procedural language with a PostgreSQL database. Subsequently, functions and trigger procedures can be defined in this new language. The user must have the PostgreSQL superuser privilege to register a new language. CREATE LANGUAGE effectively associates the language name with a call handler that is responsible for executing functions written in the language. Refer to the Programmer's Guide for more information about language call handlers. Note that procedural languages are local to individual databases. To make a language available in all databases by default, it should be installed into the template1 database. PARAMETERS
TRUSTED TRUSTED specifies that the call handler for the language is safe, that is, it does not offer an unprivileged user any functionality to bypass access restrictions. If this keyword is omitted when registering the language, only users with the PostgreSQL superuser privilege can use this language to create new functions. PROCEDURAL This is a noise word. langname The name of the new procedural language. The language name is case insensitive. A procedural language cannot override one of the built-in languages of PostgreSQL. For backward compatibility, the name may be enclosed by single quotes. HANDLER call_handler call_handler is the name of a previously registered function that will be called to execute the procedural language functions. The call handler for a procedural language must be written in a compiled language such as C with version 1 call convention and regis- tered with PostgreSQL as a function taking no arguments and returning the language_handler type, a placeholder type that is simply used to identify the function as a call handler. VALIDATOR valfunction valfunction is the name of a previously registered function that will be called when a new function in the language is created, to validate the new function. If no validator function is specified, then a new function will not be checked when it is created. The validator function must take one argument of type oid, which will be the OID of the to-be-created function, and will typically return void. A validator function would typically inspect the function body for syntactical correctness, but it can also look at other properties of the function, for example if the language cannot handle certain argument types. To signal an error, the validator function should use the elog() function. The return value of the function is ignored. DIAGNOSTICS
CREATE LANGUAGE This message is returned if the language is successfully created. ERROR: PL handler function funcname() doesn't exist This error is returned if the function funcname() is not found. NOTES
This command normally should not be executed directly by users. For the procedural languages supplied in the PostgreSQL distribution, the createlang(1) script should be used, which will also install the correct call handler. (createlang will call CREATE LANGUAGE internally.) In PostgreSQL versions before 7.3, it was necessary to declare handler functions as returning the placeholder type opaque, rather than lan- guage_handler. To support loading of old dump files, CREATE LANGUAGE will accept a function declared as returning opaque, but it will issue a NOTICE and change the function's declared return type to language_handler. Use the CREATE FUNCTION [create_function(7)] command to create a new function. Use DROP LANGUAGE [drop_language(7)], or better yet the droplang(1) script, to drop procedural languages. The system catalog pg_language records information about the currently installed procedural languages. Table "pg_language" Attribute | Type | Modifier ---------------+-----------+---------- lanname | name | lanispl | boolean | lanpltrusted | boolean | lanplcallfoid | oid | lanvalidator | oid | lanacl | aclitem[] | lanname | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lanvalidator | lanacl -------------+---------+--------------+---------------+--------------+-------- internal | f | f | 0 | 2246 | c | f | f | 0 | 2247 | sql | f | t | 0 | 2248 | {=U} At present, with the exception of the permissions, the definition of a procedural language cannot be changed once it has been created. To be able to use a procedural language, a user must be granted the USAGE privilege. The createlang program automatically grants permis- sions to everyone if the language is known to be trusted. EXAMPLES
The following two commands executed in sequence will register a new procedural language and the associated call handler. CREATE FUNCTION plsample_call_handler () RETURNS language_handler AS '$libdir/plsample' LANGUAGE C; CREATE LANGUAGE plsample HANDLER plsample_call_handler; COMPATIBILITY
CREATE LANGUAGE is a PostgreSQL extension. HISTORY
The CREATE LANGUAGE command first appeared in PostgreSQL 6.3. SEE ALSO
createlang(1), CREATE FUNCTION [create_function(7)], droplang(1), DROP LANGUAGE [drop_language(l)], GRANT [grant(l)], REVOKE [revoke(l)], PostgreSQL Programmer's Guide SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 CREATE LANGUAGE(7)