Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing last modified sub-directory's files Post 302963155 by sijaanh on Thursday 24th of December 2015 01:20:37 PM
Old 12-24-2015
This is not a homework.. but a test question and I dont have the answer..
they gave me a hint to use grep expressions such as }[:alpha:] [:alnum:], , ,[:space:][:digit:], ,+,?,-{*,$,^, !

ls -t : this give me the last modified directories by order
I have to get into this folder and print it's files content!
I have no idea where to start from

---------- Post updated at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:19 PM ----------

ls -t | head -n1
this gives me the name of the last modified directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing number of files ONLY in ~ directory

Could someone help me please. I'm trying to write a shell script that prints the number of files I have in my home directory. Files only though, directories not included. I was thinking about using a pipe that includes wc but I don't know any commands that isolate the number of files you have in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fasdafdsf
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to zip a modified file 15 days before but not scanning my sub directory files

I am using zip -m option to zip my files, but i dont want my sub directories files to be zipped (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skrish70
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing files from a directory

Hi, I need help in printing files from a directory. eg: a directory called /home/ABC and there are 3 files in it. I need to give printout one bye one. One more thing is I need to print date and the path on the top of each page...like... Sep 30 14:22 2008 /home/ABC Page 1 I've been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: injeti
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directory modified/created before 4 days

Hi, I have an application which creates some directories while running. I want to delete these directories which are 4 days older. i tried find . type d -mtime +1 -print And it is working fine.. but find . type d -mtime +4 -print is not giving any results which are 4 days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to open a last modified file in a directory

how to directly open a last modified file in a directory? Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of files in a directory modified on a date

Hi How to list all the files in a directory that are modified on a particular date? Also need to know the count,i.e number of files modified on a particular date. Thanks Ashok (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Last modified directory to another directory

Hi, I have to copy last modified Directory to another directory.How can i Do using pipe or redirect cp -R 'ls -lrt|tail -1' test is not working. please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaveta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy last modified directory from path using Perl

Hi I need to copy last modified directory from path /users/bin to be copied to /tmp in a perl script ...somehow my script is not allowing me to do cd /users/bin. i have tried $dir = `find /users/bin -maxdepth 1 -type d -mtime 0 ` cp -R $dir /tmp/new but it says missing destination... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaveta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

last modified directory

hi everyone suppose i have many directory under one directory. now i want to find out the last modified directory so i executed the command ls -ltr but it gives me the directory structure too and i don't want this so i removed 'r' also but it too gives me directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)