Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing last modified sub-directory's files Post 302963154 by Aia on Thursday 24th of December 2015 01:15:09 PM
Old 12-24-2015
Hello, sijaanh

Why does it has to be one line?
Why does it has to be grep?
Is this homework?
What have you tried?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing number of files ONLY in ~ directory

Could someone help me please. I'm trying to write a shell script that prints the number of files I have in my home directory. Files only though, directories not included. I was thinking about using a pipe that includes wc but I don't know any commands that isolate the number of files you have in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fasdafdsf
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to zip a modified file 15 days before but not scanning my sub directory files

I am using zip -m option to zip my files, but i dont want my sub directories files to be zipped (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skrish70
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing files from a directory

Hi, I need help in printing files from a directory. eg: a directory called /home/ABC and there are 3 files in it. I need to give printout one bye one. One more thing is I need to print date and the path on the top of each page...like... Sep 30 14:22 2008 /home/ABC Page 1 I've been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: injeti
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directory modified/created before 4 days

Hi, I have an application which creates some directories while running. I want to delete these directories which are 4 days older. i tried find . type d -mtime +1 -print And it is working fine.. but find . type d -mtime +4 -print is not giving any results which are 4 days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to open a last modified file in a directory

how to directly open a last modified file in a directory? Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of files in a directory modified on a date

Hi How to list all the files in a directory that are modified on a particular date? Also need to know the count,i.e number of files modified on a particular date. Thanks Ashok (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Last modified directory to another directory

Hi, I have to copy last modified Directory to another directory.How can i Do using pipe or redirect cp -R 'ls -lrt|tail -1' test is not working. please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaveta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy last modified directory from path using Perl

Hi I need to copy last modified directory from path /users/bin to be copied to /tmp in a perl script ...somehow my script is not allowing me to do cd /users/bin. i have tried $dir = `find /users/bin -maxdepth 1 -type d -mtime 0 ` cp -R $dir /tmp/new but it says missing destination... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaveta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

last modified directory

hi everyone suppose i have many directory under one directory. now i want to find out the last modified directory so i executed the command ls -ltr but it gives me the directory structure too and i don't want this so i removed 'r' also but it too gives me directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies
environ(4)							   File Formats 							environ(4)

NAME
environ, pref, variables - user-preference variables files for AT&T FACE SYNOPSIS
$HOME/pref/.environ $HOME/pref/.variables $HOME/FILECABINET/.pref $HOME/WASTEBASKET/.pref DESCRIPTION
The .environ, .pref, and .variables files contain variables that indicate user preferences for a variety of operations. The .environ and .variables files are located under the user's $HOME/pref directory. The .pref files are found under $HOME/FILECABINET, $HOME/WASTEBASKET, and any directory where preferences were set via the organize command. Names and descriptions for each variable are presented below. Vari- ables are listed one per line and are of the form variable=value. .environ Variables Variables found in .environ include: LOGINWIN[1-4] Windows that are opened when FACE is initialized. SORTMODE Sort mode for file folder listings. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 1 Sorted alphabetically by name. 2 Files most recently modified first. 800 Sorted alphabetically by object type. The values above may be listed in reverse order by ORing the following value: 1000 List objects in reverse order. For example, a value of 1002 will produce a folder listing with files LEAST recently modified displayed first. A value of 1001 would produce a "reverse" alphabetical by name listing of the folder. DISPLAYMODE Display mode for file folders. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 0 File names only. 4 File names and brief description. 8 File names, description, plus additional information. WASTEPROMPT Prompt before emptying wastebasket (yes/no?). WASTEDAYS Number of days before emptying wastebasket. PRINCMD[1-3] Print command defined to print files. UMASK Holds default permissions with which files will be created. .pref Variables Variables found in .pref are the following: SORTMODE Contains the same values as the SORTMODE variable described in .environ above. DISPMODE Contains the same values as the DISPLAYMODE variable described in .environ above. .variable Variables Variables found in .variables include: EDITOR Default editor. PS1 Shell prompt. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 environ(4)