Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep - build character range with octal or hexa representation Post 302962797 by RudiC on Friday 18th of December 2015 12:59:39 PM
Old 12-18-2015
Sorry?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to keep(or grep) range of line ?

I have simple text log file look like that ----------------------------------------- Mon May 8 07:02:41 2006 Some text to show log Mon May 8 07:05:30 2006 Some text to show log Some text to show log Mon May 8 07:11:07 2006 Some text to show log Mon May 8 07:45:56 2006 Some text to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to build a grep/sed/awk filter

Hi I need to to direct only the path and the name of the trace file to a new file. How do I use grep/awk/sed filter? eg. ABC.root>cat alert_omc_dg.log | grep trc ORA-00060: Deadlock detected. More info in file /u01/oradata/omc/udump/omc_dg_ora_3555.trc. ORA-00060: Deadlock detected. More... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geetap
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in expanding hexa decimal character range

Hi all, I have a input like this 3AF9:3B01 and need to expand to the below output 3AF9 3AFA 3AFB 3AFC 3AFD 3AFE 3AFF 3B00 3B01 Please let me know the easiest way for achieving this. Thanks for the help in advance... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a range of numbers

Dear Friends, I want to know how to grep for the lines that has a number between given range(start and end). I have tried the following sed command. sed -n -e '/20030101011442/,/20030101035519/p' However this requires both start and end to be part of the content being grepped. However... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use of character range in awk

Hi all, I am having a bit of a hard time using awk. I must do something wrong, but I don't know what... Any help would be greatly appreciated! I read a file, as follows :... ATOM 21 C THR A 4 23.721 -26.194 1.909 1.00 32.07 C ATOM 22 O THR A 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read into a range of character

i have this problem: i must hide a string with a character such as _ by command WORD=string; XXX=`echo $WORD | sed 's//_/g' but after, users must send in input a character and i must to replace the _ with the input character or better i can do this -$CHARS_INPUT i have think to use command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep ip range

I want to find all files under /var directory that refer to any ip from 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.255 using grep. How can this be done. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a specific range of character in file

hi, I want to store from 102 character to 128 character to a variable of header record which can be identified as 'HDR' which is the first 3 characters in the same line of a same.txt file. Please advise. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing character "|" in given character range

Hi I am having file : 1|2443094 |FUNG SIU TO |CLEMENT 2|2443095 |FUNG KIL FO |REMENT This file contains only 3 fields delimeted by "|". Last field is a decsription filed and it contains character "|". Due to this my output if breaking in 4 fields. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing letters after a certain character within a range of columns

Hi there, I am trying to remove al letters after : character on specific columns from 10th column till 827. I used sed and cut to do so but I am sure there is better one liner someone can think of from unix community members. Huge file but it has this structure (Total number of Columns =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
10 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)