Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting times and in different ranks Post 302961466 by Don Cragun on Sunday 29th of November 2015 11:51:35 PM
Old 11-30-2015
Using colon as the field separator, the 1st field is "M" or "F" followed by a comma followed by a space followed by the digit or digits representing the number of hours in the time field. The option -k1.4,1n says to sort starting in the 4th character of the 1st field (1.4) to the end of the 1st field (,1) as a numeric field (n). The 1.4 skips over the sex field, the comma, and the space and tells sort to start sorting on the hours digit(s) at the end of the 1st field.

Sorting on the entirety of field 1 as a numeric field makes that value be treated as zero in all cases because "M" and "F" are not parts of numeric strings.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Boot times

Hey all, What we have at work is a Themis board (VME rack SPARC system). We have to try to have the boot time as fast as can be. What we have already done is make some filesystems read only so if power is lost then the filesystem check will not run. This is only done to the partitions that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
2 Replies

2. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing two times

Hi Good Morning all, I have two dates and times in the beloe format. 1. 07/18/2009 03:45:49 2. 07/18/2009 03:46:41 i will grep these values from a file. Now my problem is i need to find out whether the second valus is bigger thatn the 1 value. How to compare the times. Please help me in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: intiraju
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit if between 2 times

Hello, I am working in Solaris 10 with a Bash script and trying to figure out how I can tell the script to look at the day of the week and the time and for example if it is Sat between 5:50am and 6:30am then just exit out of the script. Any other day or time keep running. We have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

ssh times out

I have fedora 13 installed on my home computer. I am unable to ssh from my office to my home computer. On trying to ssh to my home computer, I get the following response: $ ssh -vvv username@129.X.XXX.XXX OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a-fips 1 Jun 2010 debug1: Reading configuration data... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arbitguy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing times from ls

Hello, Im new to shell scripting and i am trying to write a part of my script that will search for all files in any given folder and write down all the names of the files and the atime, change time, and modtime of the files in one file as an output. I know that ls -l, ls -ul and ls -lc will give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnagda
1 Replies

7. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies

9. Linux

Accessing Few DDR Ranks

Hi, Considering a case there are 4 RANKs in a DIMM. Run time, if one of the 4 rank has fault which results into use 3 ranks. Say Rank1 has faults. So Rank0, Rank2 and Rank3 are operational. Is it possible case? If above is true then, who is responsible for address aliasing? Memory Controller... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhaval Shah
4 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)