Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sequentially rename multiple files Post 302960646 by H squared on Wednesday 18th of November 2015 04:52:12 AM
Old 11-18-2015
Sequentially rename multiple files

Hello team,

We wish to develop a script as follows :

1. Rename multiple files in the following way:
example
Original file names : test.txt and dummy.txt
New file names : test.$(date +"%F").AAAAA<serialno_1>.BBBBBB.p and dummy.$(date +"%F").AAAAA<serialno_2>.BBBBBB.p

2. The script would run every hour where the serialno counter would continue from the count of the last run.

3. The serialno counter would reset at 00:00:00 everyday.

4. The files with the new filenames will be moved to a different location.

We have done the following implementation till now. However, I am finding it a little difficult given my limited knowledge of Linux shell scripting

This is just a test implementation :

Code:

for i in {1..5}
do
   mv *.txt test.$(date +"%F").AAAAA$i.111111.p
   echo "file renamed"
done

Could you please help.
Thanks,
Haider

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files

Hello, I want to rename multiple files at a time and I don't know how to do it. I have various ".mp3" files, like "band name - music name.mp3" and I want to remove the "band name" from all files. Anybody knows how to do it using shell script or sed or even perl? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files multiple times increasing sequentially

I am looking for the easiest way to copy a set of files 1000 times and increment sequentially. I want to copy these 2 files: Scenario.1.1.ud Scenario.1.2.ud So that it creates the following: Scenario.2.1.ud Scenario.2.2.ud Scenario.3.1.ud Scenario.3.2.ud .. .. Scenario.1000.1.ud... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPOrlando
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files

Hi all, I have some files like: pickup.0000043200.t001.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t001.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t002.data I need to rename these files to ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_dor8
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with multiple files rename...

Hi everyone, I'm very green in Linux. Please help me to solve my problem. I have thousands of files and I want to change their names. They have naming convection: prefix_date_date+1_suffix.nc prefix: ext-GLORY date_date+1: 20020101_20020102 and two types of suffix: gridV_R20020130 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makikicindy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the multiple files

Hi I need to reanme the multiple file using unix script I have multiple file like: sample_YYYYMMDD.xls test new_YYYYMMDD.xls simple_YYYYMMDD.xls I need to rename this file sample.xls testnew.xls SIMPLE.xls thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: murari83.ds
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

hello: I have multiple files with names like: somestring_y2010m01d01 somestring_y2010m01d02 .......... somestring_y2010m12d31 How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylcam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

Hi, In my directory I have many files, for e.g. file_123 file_124 file_125 file_126 file_127 Instead of renaming these files one by one, I would like to rename them at a same time using same command... they should appear like 123 124 125 126 127 What command(awk or ls or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a multiple files

I have multiple files in folder which i want to rename. hence I am using the below command in my script by I get an error: export XXX_LOG_DIR="${LOG_DIR}/${XXX_HOST}/xxx/${REPORT_DATE}" mv $XXX_LOG_DIR/*.audit.gz $XXX_LOG_DIR/*.audit.log.gz But I get the below error: mv: target... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karan8810
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files in one go

OS : Oracle Linux 6.8 shell : bash As shown below, I have multiple files like below (query1-extract_aa, query1-extract_ab, query1-extract_ac, ....) $ ls -l total 235680 -rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr 30M May 3 11:25 query1-extract_aa -rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr 30M May 3 11:25... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
5 Replies
oggz-comment(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   oggz-comment(1)

NAME
oggz-comment -- List or edit comments in an Ogg file. SYNOPSIS
oggz-comment [-l | --list ] oggz-comment [-o filename | --output filename ] [-d | --delete ] [-a | --all ] [-s serialno | --serialno serialno ] [-c content- type | --content-type content-type ] filename oggz-comment [-h | --help ] [-v | --version ] Description oggz-comment lists or edits the comments of an Ogg file. Options oggz-comment accepts the following options: Listing options -l, --list List the comments in the given file. Editing options -o filename, --output filename Write output to the specified filename. -d, --delete Delete comments before editing. -a, --all Edit comments for all logical bitstreams. -c content-type, --content-type content-type Edit comments of the logical bitstreams with specified content-type. Run oggz-known-codecs(1) for a full list of codecs known by the installed version of oggz. -s serialno, --serialno serialno Edit comments of the logical bitstream with specified serialno. Miscellaneous options -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -v, --version Output version information and exit. EXAMPLES
List all comments in file.ogg: oggz comment -l file.ogg List only the comments in the Theora bitstream in file.ogv: oggz comment -l -c theora file.ogv Add the comment "GENRE=Rock" to the Vorbis bitstream of file.ogv, writing output to output.ogv: oggz comment -c vorbis -o output.ogv file.ogg GENRE=Rock AUTHOR
Kangyuan Niu August 5, 2007; COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Annodex Association SEE ALSO
vorbiscomment(1), ogginfo(1), oggz-info(1), hogg(1) oggz-comment(1)