Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk pipe to sort
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk pipe to sort Post 302960533 by RudiC on Monday 16th of November 2015 02:34:11 PM
Old 11-16-2015
It's fine as is, but double quote the sort -n command.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed with sort. pipe and popen()

Suppose I want to find the number of uniq lines in a file. I use the following command: sort file1 | uniq -c | wc -l But if for some reason sort fails, the above command returns 0 as the answer. Why would sort fail ? sort makes use of directories /tmp or /var/tmp to store temporary files.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it better to grep and pipe to awk, or to seach with awk itself

This may just be a lack of experience talking, but I always assumed that when possible it was better to use a commands built in abilities rather than to pipe to a bunch of commands. I wrote a (very simple) script a while back that was meant to pull out a certain error code, and report back what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a field from awk in a pipe?

Thanks in advance : ) I try for a long time searching for a way to split a large gzip csv file into many gzip files (except for the last sub-file which is to joint the next big file's children.) All the subfiles are to be named by the field. But I only managed to split them into the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingsley
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe to awk to variable

Hi! If I'm trying something like: echo "hello world" | myvar=`awk -F "world" '{print $1}'` echo $myvar myvar is always empty :confused: I googled for houres now and don't understand why it isn't working... Trying it in normal bash. Can someone explain it to me so I can say "Of course!... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort text having delimiter with "|" (pipe)

i am having text file below NARGU S S 12358 SALES REP |22| Acccount/s RAJU R B 64253 SALES REP |12| Acccount/s RUKMAN S 32588 SALES REP |10| Acccount/s NARGUND S S 12356... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with sed or awk with less pipe

<tr><th align=right valign=top>Faulty_Part</th><td align=left valign=top>readhat version 6.0</td></tr> <tr><th align=right valign=top>Submit_Date</th><td align=left valign=top>2011-04-28 02:08:02</td></tr> .......(a long string) I want to get all the field between "left valign=top>" and "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print pipe

Hey fellas, I wrote an script which its output is like this: a 1 T a 1 T a 2 A b 5 G b 5 G b 5 G I wanna print $1 $2 and the total number of $2 value as the third column and after that $3. Sth like this: a 1 2 T a 2 1 A b 5 3 G I know how to do it with a given input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BOTH pipe and file(s) into awk

Hello all, quick question: is it possible to pass input into AWK BOTH with a pipe AND a file at the same time, something like this: command .......|awk '.................' FILEIN > fileout All I read says either one or the other, not both, is it at all possible? And how would the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

9. SuSE

Is this iostat pipe to sort service request command correct?

Hi, my os is SLES 10 from sort iostat as my output does not include rkB/s and wkB/s I probably have to adjust the key position, so is the following iostat pipe to sort service request command correct? oracle@vmc_stallite:~> iostat -x | sort -nrk11 sda 0.96 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort file using pipe

I am trying to create a file (epilepsy70_average.txt) and then pipe that file into a sort and save a new file. The new file is sort.txt but as of know it is blank. I can create the file in one command and then sort it in another. Is the pipe not correct? Thank you :). awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)