Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find Default user
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find Default user Post 302960021 by OldManRiver on Monday 9th of November 2015 03:16:52 PM
Old 11-09-2015
Find Default user

All,

Working in Kubuntu 14.04

I know I can find the default user line using the cmd from bash:

Code:
cat /etc/passwd | grep 1000

What I get is:

Code:
user:x:1000:1000:User Name,,,:/home/user:/bin/bash

How do I extract to get:

Code:
myuser=$user
myhome=$homdir

All help appreciated!

Thanks!

OMR

Last edited by Don Cragun; 11-09-2015 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I find a user profile

Hi, I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in and how many times and days (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

how can i find a user profile

Hi I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in, at what time and how many days, anyone can help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find User

I have a file in my home directory and I want to know all the users who have tried to read the file from my directory and or access the particualr file. Could someone helpme in this as to how I can proceed further? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Find a whether user exists or not.

Hi all, to find a user whether he had an account on AIX box i will use commands like "finger" , "lsuser". I am new to solaris and we are migrating to solaris. now i am using " more /etc/passwd | grep -i <UserID> " to find a user present in that solaris box or not. Are der any similar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
9 Replies

5. AIX

ldapsearch to find DN for a user

How can I do a ldapsearch to find a DN for a user when I know the exact cn for that user out of active directory. I have tried several different commands (hundreds) but need the -b with the full dn to perform the search using ldapsearch from AIX. I am trying to find the OU for a user and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchart3
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Need to find user login name with their First name and last name

I need to find user login name with their First name and last name .Using HP-UX . i used Finger but couldn't able to get ... $ finger ravi.kumar@domain.com ksh: domain.com: not found i tried with finger kumar ravi finger ravi kumar but not able to get It just giving Login name:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string in my user

Hello all, what is the find command to locate the string in my user. string is "ciadev" .this string locate multiple files which in different directories.so please write the find command for this issue.Iam looking forward from you. Thanks Regards Rajkumar G:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a user on the system

i am prompting for a name to search. read user if then however, i get this error: please enter a username on the system: fool menu_script2.sh: line 123: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Find: ‘-ls’ is not the name of a known user

I am trying to figure what I am doing wrong here. find . '!' -user $USER -ls andy@7_~/Downloads$ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
9 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)