Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two files column values using awk Post 302960005 by jim mcnamara on Monday 9th of November 2015 11:02:47 AM
Old 11-09-2015
There are not 3 columns in your examples. Do you mean the last column, column #2? Or is judi part of the file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare column between 2 files

Hi, I would like to compare file1 and file2 file1 1 2 3 file2 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d The result should only print out "d" in file 2. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in awk in a same file and consecutive lines..

I would like to compare the values of 2nd column of consecutive lines of same file in such a way so that if the difference between first value and second value is more than 100 it should print complete line else ignore line. Input File ========== PDB 2500 RTDB 123 RTDB-EAGLE 122 VSCCP 2565... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuswami
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare values of fields from same column with awk

Hi all ! If there is only one single value in a column (e.g. column 1 below), then return this value in the same output column. If there are several values in the same column (e.g. column 2 below), then return the different values separated by "," in the output. pipe-separated input: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in a same file using awk?

Dear Unix experts, I have got a file where I would like to compare the values of second column if first column is same in such a way that the difference between the values is >50. If not, I would like to discard both values. For example, my input file looks like - comp275_c0_seq2 73... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: utritala
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk command to compare files by column

So I have this issue. I have 4 files. the first one is the master file who has all possible combinations: file 1 - a - b - c - d - e the other three have some of the letters and a number instead of - for example file 2 34 a 5 c file 3 10 b 12 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quijotes
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare values in multiple rows in one column using awk

I would like to compare values in column 8, and grep the ones where the different is > 1, columns 1 and 2 are the key for array. Every 4 rows the records values in columns 1 and 2 changed. Then, the comparison in the column 8 need to be done for the 4 rows everytime columns 1 and 2 changed ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. Column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. AVAILABILITY
The column command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD