Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Domain registrars & DNS servers Post 302959572 by coolatt on Wednesday 4th of November 2015 01:24:05 PM
Old 11-04-2015
Linux Domain registrars & DNS servers

I have read many tutorials on bind and i understand the A,MX, CNAME records.

Internally, on a LAN we can install bind and create all these records and we can tell all PC and servers to use this bind as DNS server.that's fine.

On the Internet, when we have purchased a valid domain like somedomain.com, from a domain registrar, we are given the choice on which name servers we want the domain to be hosted.

am a bit confused here about this process.what's the name of the server that says for domain somedomain.com use these nameservers. ?

if this would not be the case, then anyone could just install bind on a public server and put whatever records they want for the domain somedomain.com

please clarify this for me.

Last edited by coolatt; 11-04-2015 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: formatting

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Dns Servers

My only question is Can we have two auteritative Name servers for a single domain? Just a question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

2. Solaris

change dns (domain name)

hi gurus, need to check other than the hosts file, what else i need to change after we have changed the domain name in our company. currently, we are using olddnsname.com and will change it to newdnsname.com. i am not sure where else in solaris i need to take a look. please advise. thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim_custodio
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Select DNS Servers depending on the domain

Hello, I'm using CentOS 5.3, and I connect to a VPN in order to work. The problem is that I'm constantly accessing things on the local network and the remote network. But once I'm connected to the VPN I can't access local addresses by name, I have to use the ip-address. What I'd like is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martincastell
4 Replies

4. Linux

Configuring dns in local domain

Hi everybody, for revolving local host name of my network, I set up an dns server to solve my problem, but til now, nothing happen when I ping a hostname, but work on IP. Can you help me to correct the configuration. Here is all my settings: Voici mes fichiers de configuration: -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beloge2002
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Stop samba from querying trusted domain servers

Hi, We've got a samba server running in our DMZ. Our users drag & drop files on it for vendors. Everything was working perfectly until the powers that be decided to build a trust between a couple of internal domains. Samba is now querying each server in the trust. When a user browses... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to flush specific domain in SunOS 5 DNS

Hello to all, May you help saying me how to flush a specific domain in Linux SunOS5 I know the command rndc is to flush DNS cache, but I would like to know: 1- How to do a flush only on specific domain 2- How to see the content of DNS Resolver cache (similar to info given by IPCONFIG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing hosting company for one domain, how to deal with DNS?

Hello, Our organization is planning to move one domain from Dreamhost to Hubspot. Lets say, it is gem.xyxyxyxyx.com. Please note, website is not being migrated from one server to another, it is just hosting company. Here is from our internal DNS master server - # cat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux is not appending domain name in DNS query

In my /etc/resolv.conf file there is domain name defined. But when I do nslookup the domain name is not appended. Why? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
18 Replies
ypinit(1M)																ypinit(1M)

NAME
ypinit - build and install Network Information Service databases SYNOPSIS
NIS_domain] NIS_server_name NIS_domain] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). Although the name has changed, the functionality of the service remains the same. DESCRIPTION
is a shell script that creates Network Information Service (NIS) databases on either a master or slave NIS server. asks a few self- explanatory questions, and reports success or failure to the terminal. For an overview of Network Information Service, see ypfiles(4) and ypserv(1M). Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Create the local host as the master server to all maps (databases) provided in the NIS domain (see domainname(1)). All maps are built from scratch, either from information pro- vided to at run-time, or from ASCII files in All such files should be complete and unabbreviated, unlike how they may exist on a NIS client machine (see passwd(4) for examples of abbreviated files). See ypmake(1M) for more information on how NIS databases are built on the master server. Note that uses the option when invoking so newly formed maps are not immediately copied to slave servers (see ypmake(1M)). Create NIS databases on a slave server by copying the databases from an existing NIS server that serves the NIS domain. The NIS_server_name argument should be the host name of either the master server for all the maps or a server on which the maps are current and stable. Configures the local host as a NIS client, so that the NIS client will attempt to bind to a particular NIS server. Invocation of with a option prompts the user to construct a list of NIS servers, in the order of preference, to which the client will try to bind. Each of these NIS servers must be listed in the file along with its IP Address. This list of NIS servers is stored in the file This file is used by when invoked without the option. (See ypbind(1M) in ypserv(1M)). If it is so desired that it is not necessary for a NIS client to bind to a NIS server in a particular list, the installation mechanism could be ignored. Causes to construct maps for the specified NIS_domain. defaults to the NIS domain shown by the command (see domain- name(1). RETURN VALUE
returns exit code 0 if no errors occur; otherwise, it returns exit code 1. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. FILES
SEE ALSO
domainname(1), makedbm(1M), ypmake(1M), yppush(1M), ypserv(1M), ypxfr(1M), ypxfrd(1M), group(4), hosts(4), netgroup(4), networks(4), passwd(4), protocols(4), publickey(4), rpc(4), services(4), ypfiles(4). ypinit(1M)