Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract words before and after a certain word. Post 302959407 by Aia on Monday 2nd of November 2015 11:02:07 AM
Old 11-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaibjameel123

grep -owP '.{0,2}words.{0,2}' sample.txt

grep -owP '.{0,10}words.{0,10}' sample.txt
Perhaps
Code:
grep -owP '(?:\w+\s){0,2}words(?:\s\w+){0,2}' sample.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a word with a series of words in a file

Hi, I have a Template file 'TL.body' which says as follows: "There are no <FILENAME> files on the server. " The missing file names are identified and stored in a variable. For Eg: MISSFILE="abc.txt def.txt xyz.txt" I want the values of MISSFILE variable to be replaced against... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brap45
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return a word between two words

how do i get a word that exists between two words eg: this is bryan My input to command would be this and bryan and output should be 'is' Is there a command i can use? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to filter the words, if that word contains the expected letter

Hi, I am trying to filter the words from a file which contain 'abc'. But I am unable to. Could any one help me. For eg: The file contents are 123ab 12hnj1 123abc456 123cgbcahjkf23 23134abchfhj43 gc32abc abc1 2abc3 sd uiguif fhwe 21242 uh123 jkcas124d123 u3hdbh23u ffsd8 Output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a word in short words

Dear, Can somebody help me with this? I have a variable TGT=T2DIRUPDAZ20070326VA I want to get in variables some part of TGT. like this. TGT1=UPDA TGT2=20070326 TGT3= VA These three variables have fixe position in variable TGT. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words from a matching word in a line?

Hi Guys, :p I have a file like this: 2010-04-25 00:00:30,095 INFO - ]- start process U100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,096 DEBUG - ] -- call EJB 2010-04-25 00:00:30,709 INFO - - end processU100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,710 DEBUG - got message=Sorry I want to out put format. 2010-04-25... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all the words after a match word

Hi, I want to print all words till the last word after the match of "ERROR" word. For e.g. I'll get an sqlplus error with e.g. 1 $ ./calltest_fn.ksh var test_var:=test_fn1; calltest_fn.ksh file1 file2 file3 ERROR at line 4: ORA-06550: line 4, column 11: PLS-00201: identifier... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a known word between two known words using awk

hi I have posted it earlier but i was unable to put my exact problem.This time posting in parts. I have a text file which i had transferred to UNIX.It has strings like: alter table table_name add (column_name); as well as modify options. now i need to read the table name between alter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisha
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract whole thing in word, leaving behind last word. - perl

Hi, i've a string /u/user/DTE/T_LOGS/20110622_011532_TEST_11_HD_120/HD/TESi T_11_HD_120/hd-12 i need to get string, like /u/user/DTE/T_LOGS/20110622_011532_TEST_11_HD_120/HD the words from HD should get deleted, i need only a string till HD, i dont want to use any built in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the word or words and fetch the entries

Hi all, I have 7 words Now I have 1 file which contain data in large number of rows and columns and 6th column contain any of these words or may be more than one words among above 7 words: I want script should search for the above mentioned 7 words in the 6th column ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing word and Capitalize words after

I have an assignment and I am not sure what to do. In Unix, I use PuTTY change the semicolon (;) to a period, and capitalize the first letter of the word immediately after it. I know change command is M-% and "." so only one semicolon is changed but I am not sure how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kathrut43
1 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile]... DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such for- matted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.11 9 May 1997 fmt(1)