Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternative command to grep -w option Post 302959204 by RudiC on Friday 30th of October 2015 05:13:01 AM
Old 10-30-2015
man grep:
Quote:
-w, --word-regexp
Select only those lines containing matches that form whole words. The test is that the matching substring must either be at the beginning of the line, or
preceded by a non-word constituent character. Similarly, it must be either at the end of the line or followed by a non-word constituent character. Word-
constituent characters are letters, digits, and the underscore.
So Corona688's proposal should be slightly modified like
Code:
echo "ABC,123" | awk '$0 ~ "(^|[^A-Za-z0-9_])"P"($|[^A-Za-z0-9_])"' P="ABC"
ABC,123

---------- Post updated at 10:13 ---------- Previous update was at 10:11 ----------

Does your grep understand extended regexes? Try
Code:
echo "ABC,123" | grep -E "(^|[^A-Za-z0-9_])ABC($|[^A-Za-z0-9_])"
ABC,123

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

--alternative option in getopt

Hi, i need to use --alternative option of getopt for ex . getopt -o a:c: --alternative pw: -- "$@" if i use like this, i am not getting any output.Please help me how to correct this.i need to have a combination of long and short options.But long options have to begin with - and not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need best grep option or alternative

Hello, I am processing a text file which contains only words with few combination of characters (it is a dictionary file). example: havana have haven haven't havilland havoc Is there a way to exclude only 1 to 8 character long words which not include space or special characters : '-`~.. so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alekkz
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-n option with grep command

Hi, what is the meaning of -n option before the grep command ? grep command searches for the specified string in the file tmp_crontab.txt but what does -n mean ? With Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative to the grep trick

Hi, We used to use the below commands often. ps -ef|grep bc ps -ef|grep abc|grep -v grep Both fairly returns the same result. For example, the process name is dynamic and we are having the process name in a variable, how we can apply the above trick. For example "a" is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest alternative to grep

Hi Experts, PFB my requirement: I have a file (named file1) containing numbers like: 372846078543002 372846078543003 372846078543004 372846078543005 372846078543006 I have another file (nemed file2)where lines containing these numbers(present in file1) are present; Eg: lppza087; <PERFB >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niladri29
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth command not working in AIX.Need alternative solution for this command

Hi All, I am trying to select 30 days older files under current directory ,but not from subdirectory using below command. find <Dir> -type f -mtime + 30 This command selecting all the files from current directory and also from sub directory . I read some documention through internet ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kommineni
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)